What's new

A couple more steampunk themed scales

I made this set with a bit more "grunge" than the others.
I used white vinegar + salt on the hammered copper to get the patina. I usually sand most of it off which leaves the "darkness" in the hammered areas. This time I left it as it "grew" before washing it and putting on a sealer coat.

It doesn't look like it in the photos, but there is more of "wedge" shape to my spacer this time :)

proxy.php

This is my 2nd attempt at heat treating copper to bring out various colors in the metal. I didn't opt for a CA finish on these but put an oil based sealer with urethane on instead. I wanted to keep the "geography" of the hammered copper intact.

The blade is one of my first restores. I picked it up at the flea market and it looked ROUGH
proxy.php
!

proxy.php

WOW TIM!!!!

you keep getting better and more artistic with every new razor you overhaul!!!

The revival of that pipe razor is especially impressive!!

- Morten

I definitely like the heat treated one in this batch better than the last one! seems much more subtle, less polka dot feeling...nicely done :302:

Also, looks like a great improvement on the ring section of the first one. Did you find a convex lens to fit it? Or did you just pour more epoxy till it just started to overfill it? That slight curve to the face really sets it off nicely :001_tt1:

I definitely like the heat treated one in this batch better than the last one! seems much more subtle, less polka dot feeling...nicely done :302:

Also, looks like a great improvement on the ring section of the first one. Did you find a convex lens to fit it? Or did you just pour more epoxy till it just started to overfill it? That slight curve to the face really sets it off nicely :001_tt1:

I just added more epoxy...actually by mistake. I didn't realize it would "pile" up like that! Bit I agree with you that it looks better and actually magnifies the watch movement just a bit too.

WOW TIM!!!!

you keep getting better and more artistic with every new razor you overhaul!!!

The revival of that pipe razor is especially impressive!!

- Morten

Thanks Morten!!

Well Tim, you already know my opinion about steampunk scaled razors. Where do I sing up?!! It really is beautiful. And now that I look at it I see what Kavik meant the "lens" treatment. I certainly does show off the watch movement and it the best sort of way. You are really making your mark amongst restorers I would say. Well done.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom