What's new

Most beard softening cream

I've been wetshaving less than a year, but I like to think I have a pretty decent list of creams that I've tried. All of the lines I've tried had something good come from them in one degree or another, but I've only come across two that provided a very noticable benefit of softening my beard whiskers. And by softening I mean that I could literally tell that my razor had a much easier time cutting through my beard.

Most of the creams I've tried do a great job at providing cushion and slickness. Two traits that are required for an irritation free shave. And while I'm sure all of the creams I've used provide some degree of beard softening benefits, none of them compared to the top two that I've found.

Keep in mind, maybe it's me and my shave routine. I don't have a particularly tough beard and my only shave prep is a hot shower and face wash. I don't lay on a layer of lather and then do the hot towel prep like some do. All I do is shower, lather up, wait a couple of minutes for the lather to marinate my whiskers a bit, and then shave away. So maybe if I changed my routine, I'd see the same beard softening benefit from all my creams.

Anyway, of the creams that I've tried, the two that noticably made my beard easier to cut came from both ends of the $ spectrum. I've found that my bear is considerably easier to shave for my razor when I use either Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream or Arko Sensitive.

I don't know what it is about these specific creams, but they really soften my beard up. When I use the lime, I can just feel how easy of a time that my razor is having slicing through, and the arko just moisturizes my whole face to the point where my beard cuts easier. I've also found that I get a great post shave feeling from the Arko sensitive but if I use a balm afterwards, by the end of the day my face feels a bit greasy.

So, has anyone else noticed this when using these specific creams, or is it just me? And are there any other creams that provide a definite beard softening benefit

I really have tried almost every brand, but not the whole line of each by any means. And I'm sure there are some I haven't considered. But so as not to get an duplicate recommendations, here are the brands I've tried.

AOS
Arko
The Body Shop
C&E
Derby
Nancy Boy
Musgo
Speick
Tabula Rasa
T&H
Trumpers
Tobs
Salters
Erasmic
Florena
Euro Palmolive
Ingram
Proraso
Mama Bear (old formula)
Toms

I like the Derby/Arko shaving cream. It is fantasticly inexpensive but it works well for me. As you say you hardly need any balm with this stuff.

Have you tried Kiss My Face?

Maybe I don't have a really tough beard. I used to think I did. I think what has happened is my technique has gotten better to the point that shaving is alot easier. Probably the most frustrating thing about shaving now days is lathering, everything else is not too hard. Some shaving soaps and creams just don't lather well, especially with hard water. Williams seems to be an exception, it might be time to revisit that soap now that my technique has gotten to the point I don't get razor burn constantly. More creams and soaps should just use some sodium laurel sulfate for the 99 percent of us with hard water.

I know it doesn't get too much attention here, but I find that my EJ Almond SC ends up at the top of my cream lineup more often than my other creams (Proraso, misc TOBS, misc C&E, and T&H Limes).

I know it doesn't get too much attention here, but I find that my EJ Almond SC ends up at the top of my cream lineup more often than my other creams (Proraso, misc TOBS, misc C&E, and T&H Limes).

I've been meaning to try this stuff, and the Muhle Pinsel creams. You're right that they don't get much attention here, but I'd like to find out more about them.

I've found that my bear is considerably easier to shave for my razor when I use either Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream or Arko Sensitive.

Any man that would shave his bear gets my respect.

Joking aside, I've yet to find a cream that really softens my beard or my bear. I may give CF a try when I can next afford it.

I use proraso pre/post shave and leave it to soak for a few minutes. After that it doesn't matter what cream or soap I use as it has softened my "iron filing" type beard considerably.

I use proraso pre/post shave and leave it to soak for a few minutes. After that it doesn't matter what cream or soap I use as it has softened my "iron filing" type beard considerably.

+1 I massage in a layer of pre/post the moment I step into the shower, then throughout the shower I just let the steam combined with the cream do the work... At the end I rinse my face off and I'm in prime shaving country... :lol: I could probably shave with a Flint and get good results by that point... :w00t:

JM Frasers

I was going to log in specially earlier before anyone mentioned Fraser's, but now that its out in the open I'll chime in. The blurb on the tub mentions that it softens tough beards, etc., but I honestly thought it was just that...blurb on a tub which often doesn't mean much. This cream really does soften the beard. This is really evident when I use a straight razor. The whiskers are easily cut under my chin when I use this cream which is where I get the most resistance. Every other product I have tried (too, too many) regardless of price has never softened my beard like this. I am a die-hard soap guy also so this isn't just another "me too, +1 +1 +1 smiley face smiley face w/thumbs up" recommendation. J.M. Fraser's is the real deal. Made for the barbering classes, no nonsense value, performance and non of "made right in his celebrated establishment" BS. Made right here in Toronto by a small company, it brings a patriotic tear to my eye.

I've got some Frasers, but my rotation is so large now that it's been at least 6 weeks since my last shave w/it.

I'll shave w/it tomorrow and see if it's as beard softening as CF or Arko. My memory may just need jogged from a fresh shave w/this stuff.

I've got some Frasers, but my rotation is so large now that it's been at least 6 weeks since my last shave w/it.

I'll shave w/it tomorrow and see if it's as beard softening as CF or Arko. My memory may just need jogged from a fresh shave w/this stuff.

I'll be interested to hear your views - I use Arko and Fraser regularly and find the Fraser to be be much better all around - including in the whisker softening department.

Since I got an order of Boosters scents yesterday (Iced Lime & June Clover) I decided today was a good day to use some Frasers for a shave.

I hadn't used this stuff in quite a while, but I've got to admit it did have a noticable benefit of softening my beard. It still wasn't quite as good as Castle Forbes, but it was close.

And for those intersted, the June Clover is a very good scent IMO. I'm still getting used to the iced lime. It's good, but kind of reminds me of lemon Pledge. I also got a sample of Oriental Spice, and now I'm regretting not picking some up. I'd heard it smelled like Clubman but w/Spice. I'm not a fan of original clubman (though I love the bay rum) so I passed. But I don't think it smells like clubman at all. Aquarius does a bit, but not oriental spice.

I am still in the process of trying find the best solution for myself. Lately I have been using Em's Pre-shave Oil and Feather Pre-shave. I feel frustrated because even after taking a shower and really soaping and steaming up my face my beard doesn't feel as if it has softened up. I'm not sure what to do.:confused:

DaveS

I'd say a long hot shower. Then shaving oil. Then a hot shaving cream. Heat and moisture does the job and are more important than the specific cream.:thumbup:

JM Frasers with a brush
Cremo Shave Cream without.

I know Cremo is weird, but it is a great protective beard softener. I do not smell like a Pina Colada after using it. Really I don't.

I like Arko a lot. I am using Arko Commando in my rotation. I am amazed at how good it is for such a low price.

On the other end of the spectrum I have not tried Castle Forbes but I think soon I will invest in some. On verra!:smile:

Top Bottom