What's new

Just had my first wetshave

Just got done shaving about twenty minutes ago now. I still need some work on my technique, mostly as it pertains to getting a good lather out of my soap (Van der Hagen), but for a first time shave my Gillette NEW Bar Handle (loaded with Wilkinson Swords I picked up at Wally World) performed admirably. I've decided to save my Micromatic for when I get a little more skilled at finding blade angles; the Gillette benefited from a nice pictorial guide that really got me on the right track. Only got a single nick- in one of my usual problem areas, though, so it's definitely an acceptable performance. Still a bit rough where my grain clashes under my right jaw. Not BBS yet by any means, but I know I'll get there soon enough. Hopefully my technique will also speed up as I improve; I benefited from a very *patient* shave today.

I also started DE shaving recently. And now have had about 20 DE shaves. I am still taking it very slowly. Both speed wise as with the selection of the razor( mild razors ). In fact the most aggressive razor I have used was a new.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. Its just the last couple of shaves that I go for a close shave. I started with two WTG passes and now use one WTG followed by one XTG pass. Which works well for me now. Later I will add a ATG pass.

Yup, I have found that patience is what's needed. I have to set my alarm clock a bit earlier so I don't have to rush it. Sometimes when I'm shaving I'm thinking about work and what I have to do that day and I find myself starting to rush. Then I have to just slow down for a better shave and to enjoy the shave. It works.

I am NOT an expert, but the difference between generic drugstore blades and quality blades when starting out made all of the difference for me. Same razors, same techniques + better blades = huge improvement

Keep taking your time. Slow down to enjoy the experience. We spend too much time doing this every day not to enjoy it.

I am NOT an expert, but the difference between generic drugstore blades and quality blades when starting out made all of the difference for me. Same razors, same techniques + better blades = huge improvement

I am not an expert either, but I started with WallyWorld blades and did not change until I had somewhat developed technique. Then I started a sampler. I still like the Wilkies but I have found a couple of other brands I like better.

Things are already better than the cartridges ever were. Only real gripe I have so far is getting under my chin- the grain is weird and thus far, doing anything other than a WTG ends up threatening to shred me pretty quickly.

Well, that and the extraordinary SMELL of witch hazel. Never in my life have I experienced an odor of that nature. I'm just thankful it dries scentless; it does a nice job of cutting my aftershave to something manageable.

Well, that and the extraordinary SMELL of witch hazel. Never in my life have I experienced an odor of that nature.

Yeah! Yikes! Kinda foul in a weird way. There is scented Witch Hazel, but I use the non-scented variety just to remind me it is healing my skin.

Top Bottom