What's new

T&H Spanish Leather = Davidoff Zino

I knew T&H Spanish Leather smelled like something I had smelled before (Just like the rest of their scents, which are all pretty much typical department store frag ripoff clones).

I couldn't quite place it until I recently tried Davidoff's Zino again for the first time since the 90s. They are nearly identical. So close I can't even tell a difference side by side...

Anyone else have access to both of these to perform a side by side comparison?

Trafalgar still seems unique to me, but that's probably only because I haven't discovered the original that they cloned yet....

I have used both and find absolutely no similarity between the two. T&H Spanish Leather has been around since God took the sun critical. If anyone got "ripped off" it certainly would not be Zino.

I have used both and find absolutely no similarity between the two. T&H Spanish Leather has been around since God took the sun critical. If anyone got "ripped off" it certainly would not be Zino.

Dude. T&H reformulated Spanish Leather to a totally different scent about 6 years ago, which was quite some time after the release of Zino. Try them both side by side at the same time (current formula). They are nearly identical.

All of their scents were reformulated around this time frame and likely many times since their supposed creation dates. They aren't the same original formulae or even close to them.

Last edited:
Fifteen minutes with T&H Spanish Leather edt on one wrist and Zino Davidoff edt on the other. Notes are remarkably similar so far. T&H smells a bit "brighter"; Zino a bit sour. Wife likes T&H better. I like the fact that Zino is half the price of T&H.

Just back from late lunch - shrimp tacos! Yum!! At any rate after maybe an hour and a half, the T&H has weakened. The Zino is deeper and richer than when I applied it, and is less sour. Glad I opted for Zino. As to formulation, I bought my T&H used over a year ago from b/s/t; Zino I purchased "new" from a website discounter about a year ago.

I have to agree John, the Zino is a bit deeper and seems to have a bit better longevity. It might be due to the T&H being dubbed an EdC. But the notes of the two scents are still very, very close. If I were to smell one or the other blindly I doubt I would be able to tell the difference.

Zino is packed with rosewood, rose, lavender, and cedar. It's amazing stuff. Haven't tried the T&H yet. Have never seen this comparison before, though.

I knew T&H Spanish Leather smelled like something I had smelled before (Just like the rest of their scents, which are all pretty much typical department store frag ripoff clones).

I couldn't quite place it until I recently tried Davidoff's Zino again for the first time since the 90s. They are nearly identical. So close I can't even tell a difference side by side...

Anyone else have access to both of these to perform a side by side comparison?

Trafalgar still seems unique to me, but that's probably only because I haven't discovered the original that they cloned yet....

This is an interesting thread to me, Tim. I sort of went overboard in my love for Zino a couple of years ago, then sold both bottles I had acquired as I started acquiring other scents that I discovered I liked even more. I sampled T&H Spanish Leather in a store about that time, and only compared it on the spot to GFT Spanish Leather and never thought about Zino. I may have to go back and try the T&H Spanish Leather again with Zino in mind, just out of curiosity.

Dude. T&H reformulated Spanish Leather to a totally different scent about 6 years ago, which was quite some time after the release of Zino. Try them both side by side at the same time (current formula). They are nearly identical.

All of their scents were reformulated around this time frame and likely many times since their supposed creation dates. They aren't the same original formulae or even close to them.

:blushing:You know I owe you an apology Tim. I just checked my Spanish Leather and it is Trumper's not T&H. It fact it is the only one I have ever used. That might explain why I was so perplexed. It's hell to get old.

Dave, one of the things I remember when I compared T&H Spanish Leather to Trumper's is that, to me, the Trumper's had more leather in it. (Which is why I turned to T&H, but that is another story.)

:blushing:You know I owe you an apology Tim. I just checked my Spanish Leather and it is Trumper's not T&H. It fact it is the only one I have ever used. That might explain why I was so perplexed. It's hell to get old.

Thanks for that Dave. It's all good, believe me, I understand. It's near impossible keeping up with all of this stuff especially when there are several products with the same naming convention (i.e. Spanish Leather). The truth is that before T&H reformulated their Spanish Leather back in ~2005, it smelled similar to Trumpers. It's a whole different beast now as you pointed out (Zino-ish). Definitely nothing like Trumpers! Around 2005-2006 time frame, T&H underwent a drastic marketing and brand image change. They reformulated all of their colognes to match more streamline department store style offerings and they were more aggressive with their B&M retail presence. They were in Nordstrom and a few other higher end department stores for a while, but have since retracted back into their shell. The scents are all still reminiscent of popular department store scents of the 90s:

1805 = L'eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake
Clubman = Polo Sport
Freshman = Cool Water by Davidoff
Spanish Leather = Zino by Davidoff

and so on....

The very recently released sandalwood cologne smells nothing like sandalwood either. It smells about like something you'd find at Macy's.

This is an interesting thread to me, Tim. I sort of went overboard in my love for Zino a couple of years ago, then sold both bottles I had acquired as I started acquiring other scents that I discovered I liked even more. I sampled T&H Spanish Leather in a store about that time, and only compared it on the spot to GFT Spanish Leather and never thought about Zino. I may have to go back and try the T&H Spanish Leather again with Zino in mind, just out of curiosity.

I like Zino quite a bit. I always have, but I hadn't sniffed it in years until a few days ago. Try them side by side. I double dare ya!

I don't care much for any of T&H's frags but a couple of years ago when I tried Trafalgar, it reminded me of something. Can't recall what it was--I'll have to go back to the shop and give it a sniff.

Top Bottom