What's new

Good cheap pre-shave/aftershave/etc to include in beginner sets

So I’m getting married this October and I’ve decided to put together DE shaving starter kits for my groomsmen. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

Slim Adjustable for Best Man, Flare Tip Super Speeds for groomsmen
Tweezerman brushes
Generic chrome stand (like Col. Conk Evernice)
Mini Blade sampler packs (Feather, Derby, Astra, Personna, Wilkinson, Dorco)
Col. Conk Bay Rum soap

So any ideas for some good CHEAP pre-shave and aftershave for newbies? I’d like to throw something in there but this stuff adds up fast. Any ideas for some cheap bowls/mugs for the soap? Anything else I should add?

Thanks!

How cheap is cheap? You could always go with something like Aqua Velva. If you want to stick with the bay rum theme, you could get a big bottle of masters from a barber supply store, and decant it into nice glass bottles.

Or how about this: there are nine bottles in a Thayers witch hazel sample pack. You could part one out, and a bottle or two per kit would still be under $5 each.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
How cheap is cheap? You could always go with something like Aqua Velva. If you want to stick with the bay rum theme, you could get a big bottle of masters from a barber supply store, and decant it into nice glass bottles.

Or how about this: there are nine bottles in a Thayers witch hazel sample pack. You could part one out, and a bottle or two per kit would still be under $5 each.

+1

Any preferences on the scent, splash/balm ?

Superior 70 bay rum is very inexpensive.

As for the bowls, you could probably go to some retail stores and get some generic stoneware bowls or wide mugs.

+1

Any preferences on the scent, splash/balm ?

I was thinking more balm, don't know why I didn't specify that. I was thinking like $5/person cheap. Mostly I want to give them everything they need to have a great shave and see the light, so a product that is very effective against bumps, rash, and other nasties. I like the concept of the Proraso pre/post shave but it's around $12 a tub. Maybe I can find some sample sizes? Although mblakele's post makes me wonder if I can find some nice empty mini-tubs to divvy up a tub of the Proraso...

I'd be sure to include the address to the B&B intro/how to page!

How about a VDH kit + razors + aftershave? You'd already have nice boxes filled with the mug, stand, brush, soap (non scented & hypoallergenic)

I realize you were asking only about the aftershave:

How about a newer old spice bottle? Looks classy and at my local CVS it costs about 9 bucks a pop, $8 at WCS.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I was thinking more balm, don't know why I didn't specify that. I was thinking like $5/person cheap. Mostly I want to give them everything they need to have a great shave and see the light, so a product that is very effective against bumps, rash, and other nasties. I like the concept of the Proraso pre/post shave but it's around $12 a tub. Maybe I can find some sample sizes? Although mblakele's post makes me wonder if I can find some nice empty mini-tubs to divvy up a tub of the Proraso...

Nivea sensitive is one of the cheapest products and easily available that comes to mind...

I don't think you can beat Pinnaud Bay Rum aftershave. The 12 oz bottle is only 7 or 8$. I was looking for it on my last trip to the US in Walgreens where I had found it before, but they no longer stock it. It is, however, available on-line. I used to get 4711 a lot as gifts but it is more of a cologne (in fact, it is from Cologne) and I think the Pinnaud is much more of a refreshing after shave where the 4711 is more oily and the fragrance lasts much longer- but can be a bit overpowering. I tried the new Pinnaud aftershave and absolutely detest it. Go Bay Rum!

No advice or help but congrats on the marriage. And very classy move getting the groomsmen a wet shave kit. You are a gentlemen

I picked up 4711 on sale from Amazon last month for under $5 shipped. With its glass bottle, great scent and not being found at the corner drugstore, no one will think they received a cheap aftershave. Alas, it is a splash, not a balm. I must have nearly twenty assorted aftershave splashes and balms, and besides Speick, is the only one I am sure to order before the current bottle runs out. The scent reminds me of Dior Eau Sauvage, which is one of my top summer fragrances.

The Real Shave Company shaving balm can be had locally at Rite Aid. Its a nicely scented balm and sells for around $4 iirc. Its also on sale/special pretty regularly.

Jay

Unless you get them something they can't find in the drugstore themselves, I'd skip the pre and aftershave products and put my money into better cream/soap/brushes.

4711 from Perfumania.com. Good, inexpensive and doesn't scream "I'm a cheapskate".
I picked up 4711 on sale from Amazon last month for under $5 shipped. With its glass bottle, great scent and not being found at the corner drugstore, no one will think they received a cheap aftershave. Alas, it is a splash, not a balm. I must have nearly twenty assorted aftershave splashes and balms, and besides Speick, is the only one I am sure to order before the current bottle runs out. The scent reminds me of Dior Eau Sauvage, which is one of my top summer fragrances.
I like this suggestion. It can be found here for $6 a pop with free shipping.

Congrats!

Top Bottom