What's new

Newbie to Newbie advice when starting out

In the spirit of Kramerica's list, and with the certain knowledge that everything should go to "11", here's one more item from a newbie with roughly the same experience (about 80 shaves):

If your first try is terrible, don't give up. I was lucky. The first razor/blade combination that I tried worked pretty well, and I could tell by the sound and feel that I was shearing whiskers, and I could tell by the results and the way my face felt after shaving that I was on to something good.

I rocked along, trying different blades, and getting slightly better and slightly worse shaves, for the most part, with one standout blade that was "lots better" and one outlier "not so good".

So I'm consistently getting a dfs with a variety of razors (34C, '59 SS, '59 Fatboy, 37C), a variety of blades, a variety of creams, and a variety of brushes. I haven't nicked myself in weeks, at least that I noticed until after my shave. I'm feeling good about my technique, I'm in love with the world! :lol:

Then, this morning I have the roughest shave ever, shave one, blade one with a new brand of blade. The blade is tuggy from the start, it feels rough as can be on my face (an old and insensitive face, according to SWMBO), and I'm looking for blood after every stroke. No bleeding, and I soldier through my regular shave, but after the third pass, I give up and put a known "good" blade in for my touch up, and it's like night and day. Get cleaned up, a little WH, a little after shave balm, and I'm out the door.

Here's my point: had I been unlucky enough to have pulled today's blade out of hat on day one, I would have been incredibly discouraged, I think. If your first shave isn't what you expected, try the same combination again, maybe, but don't be scared to change something, especially the blade, to see if you just got the one that doesn't work for you. If you try three or four blades that don't work, go back to Mantic's videos and the wiki, because it probably IS you at that point.

It's worth it, I can tell you. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom