What's new

Bad prep. Bad shave.

I have a busy day today. Not particularly rushed or hectic, but I'll be on the go most of the day.

I shaved a few minutes ago and admittedly did a quick, half-hearted prep. Although I had a fresh blade in my R41, I could tell the shave suffered. I aborted after two passes and now my face feels vaguely sunburned.

I don't think I've ever been more aware of the effect of bad prep on a shave.

If I expect a busy morning I shave the night before. In your place I'd have turned my face into hamburger, not just a bit irritated. Just a thought.

Finn

Yowza. Subject line says it all.

I've been known to skimp a little on the prep, but only when I have time for a quick SAS shave. Still can be disastrous if I'm not careful...

I pushed through a shave on a new soap that I hadn't got the lather right. Lesson learned, I now pull the razor to my face only when I know I have good lather. It wasn't a bloodbath, but I did have some razorburn.

Ain't it funny that when you shortcut you get the same lousy results as you did before you started proper wet shaving? Seems to be a message there.

I have found that I now spend less time on my prep. I know this may sound like heresy but it works for me. When I returned to DE shaving a while back I probably spent 15 minutes on my prep alone. I used hot towels and massaged Proraso pre shave onto my face. I stopped doing that about a year ago and my shaves have not suffered.

When I am in a rush I do a cold water shave and use a shave stick. It takes me about 15 minutes from start to finish - cutting off about 10 minutes off my regular shave. Now if I am in a rush, my prep consists of washing my face in cool water, splashing some cool water on my face. In Florida the water is not really cool so I have Tupperware container filled with ice cubes. A few go into the water when I wash and the remainder I rub my hands with and then rub my face. I do that before lathering with each pass. If I am not in a rush I make my usual lather in my scuttle. The lather is warm but the use of cool water is something I do. I also apply pre-shave oil before my first pass.

There are times when I want a warm shave and at that time I use a hot towel for up to 30 seconds. I apply warm water to my face before each pass and once again use pre-shave oil before my first pass.

For me what I have discovered is that the only time I get a bad shave is when I rush shaving and either put too much pressure on the razor or get sloppy with the blade angle.

But, every one is different. Some find Kyle's prep vital to a good shave. I tried it and liked it - but it didn't make my shaves any better.

The most important thing is to find out what works best for you and to stick with it.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you want to shave (no pun intended) a minute or two off of prep time, try shave sticks. I have Speick and Arko- both are excellent (edge to Speick because I love the smell)

When I am in a rush I do a cold water shave and use a shave stick.

If you want to shave (no pun intended) a minute or two off of prep time, try shave sticks. I have Speick and Arko- both are excellent (edge to Speick because I love the smell)

I think I'll try a shave stick and cold water. I've heard several comments about the smell of Speick, so I'll find a source for that. I'll PM if I have a problem.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Thanks for the tutorial. As usual, I was going to bull ahead and only read directions if I had to. Sweetie says it applies to driving, too. I'm now directions-compliant.

Top Bottom