What's new

Born Again

Hey All,

Just wanted to say hey to all of you here and give an introduction. My name is Cesar and I'm 25 years old. I'm a US ex-pat living in Australia with my lovely wife. I'm an IT sysadmin by trade. I stumbled on this forum just yesterday while doing research on wet shaving. My interest was sparked after visiting Art of Manliness (highly recommend!) and seeing an article that they had about "how to shave like your grandad". After reading the article I was hooked and needed more info. Right now I've got my eyes set on a feather popular as my first razor. I'm not being too picky on my first instance of gear since I need to make sure that it's for me. I figure I'll get the feather with some decent inexpensive soap (col conk rum bay, maybe) and a decent badger brush to start me off. If I like it I will likely stock up on some nicer supplies on my trip to the states soon.

On a side note... I tried a little experiment with my cart fusion and I was really surprised. I splashed some hot water on my face a couple of times this morning before I shaved (something I never do) and then rubbed the gel into my face decently in all directions to get it in there. I have to say that I got one of the best shaves I've had in a while. I'm really excited at the results I'll get once I get a brush/soap and a DE into my routine. Who knew shaving could be an experience? haha... looking forward to some good times! :thumbup:

Thanks for that, Eric. I'll definitely have a look at that page! And yes, I am having fun. Right now it's just research, but I'm sure that once the brush and blade touch my face, it will be a blast!

Welcome to B&B, Cesar.

For a good starting off point look at the information at this post. The information there will direct you to where you can get answers to all of your shaving needs. Plus, it’s always a good idea to read the wikis and stickies. And, don’t forget; if you have any questions just ask. :smile:

Welcome to B&B! Isn't the internet a great place? ;-)

B&B has been a very valuable resource for research, and there are other good spots. If you haven't, be sure to hit up Mantic59's video series and blog out there, that was a great source of research for me and helped make the transition from research to a great shave go very smoothly :)

I haven't tried a boar, but kind of wish that is where I started

I bought a pure badger and while I can't fault it's construction, ability to build lather, etc.

It's just not enjoyable to run over my face ... if I try to use it to do anything more than just lightly paint on lather it isn't the most comfortable thing .... i probably get more irritation from the brush than the razor

I definitely understand not wanting to spend the big chunk on a top quality badger

However, now knowing you can get a really good boar for less than what I paid for my pure there is a little bit of remorse ..... but the prices are reasonable enough I'm sure i'll splurge for a boar soon and make my own decisions on it

Welcome aboard B&B. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Practice and patience will pay off with better and better shaves.

Top Bottom