What's new

Pen trouble shooting

More dumb questions from a reborn pen newb...

So now that I have been using the fountain pens again for awhile, I am starting to recognize certain charateristics. I am hoping to learn if these personality traits are manufacturer issues, specific pen personality or combinations of make, model, mechanical structure, ink or even user charecteristics.

Mostly I am using inexpensive pens and I have learned by cleaning and disassembling and with proper reassembly I am able to solve some personality issues. As well I have read that flushing pens is probably a good way to start off with a new pen. So I am mostly interested in learning about common problems and their cure.

1). I have a pen that I love, but it seems prone to skipping. It writes nice and wet and smooth, but it often starting a new letter it takes a half sec to lay down ink, then runs smooth as silk. Sometimes it seems to want pressure to get it going and sometimes that does not work. My logic suggests that it is sucking air somewhere or back feeds after finishing a word and needs priming again to start the next, again which suggests a leak in the cappliary action.

Is there any common issues that could cause this that I could rectify. I haven't flushed this one, would that be a good place to start...? Recently heard about flushing compound, what is in it exactly...?

2). I have managed to have good luck with a pack of 616s and have been taking them apart and cleaning and reassembling them all with good luck. I have noticed that there is some variance on how wet they write. Is this variance in pen manufacture, being cheap mass produced pens, or is an ink feature. I am about to experiment on this as last night I cleaned up three 616 pens which have different ink and different writing characteristics. After drying out over night after a thourogh cleaning, I am going to re-ink them with different ink to see if the characteristics change.

Now if it turns out that each pen retains it's writing charteristics then I will assume that nib configuration difference will account for most of the difference, if so is this tweakable...?

3). How common are pen malfunctions...? given that I am using cheaper pens, I expect more issues, but by tearing them down, cleaning and reassembling, I am impressed by the simple mechanics and other simple principles involved and have observed that the consistency of quality even in the 616s appears to be quite good. I recognize that plastic barrels and plastic feeder castings do not have the strength nor the ability to hold the percision cuts of better materials and what does a gold nib do for you that a percision milled stainless steel nib can't...? I am assuming that eventually the poorer material pens will break down from all the handling, but the real question is do even the better pens and the vintage pens have the same kinds of quirks that need regular maintenance...? (which is one of the reason I like them, razors included)

4). I could go on, but won't, however will ask this last question...can we start a pen WIKI...? We have some great threads here on the "NIB" so far and it would be great to link them for easy access and build on our collective experience

Last edited:
1). I have a pen that I love, but it seems prone to skipping. It writes nice and wet and smooth, but it often starting a new letter it takes a half sec to lay down ink, then runs smooth as silk.Is there any common issues that could cause this that I could rectify.

This sounds like it could be a case of baby bottom. I'm sure you can get a better explanation through google than I can give, but baby bottom is essentially where the bottom of the nib gets rounded towards the slit. Once started, surface tension keeps the ink flowing. However, when you take the pen away from paper the ink can recede back up towards the slit which can cause skipping issues on the start of words.

I haven't flushed this one, would that be a good place to start...? Recently heard about flushing compound, what is in it exactly...?

I'd say yes. A thorough flush would always be my first step to diagnosing a problem. As for the relatively new commercial pen flushing solution, it's essentially just ammonia and soap. You can get household ammonia (the non-sudsing kind is easier to deal with) from anywhere you buy cleaning supplies and it works super well. I'd recommend having some on hand because it will help to clean stubborn inks out of your pens.

2)I have noticed that there is some variance on how wet they write. Is this variance in pen manufacture, being cheap mass produced pens, or is an ink feature.

It's probably a combination of both. Different inks will write differently. Often, you'll hear people refer to inks as being either 'wet' or 'dry.' Obviously the inks are all wet, but an ink that writes wet will put down a thicker line than one that is dry (even in the same pen.) Of course, the fact that the QC on then pens that you're using is essentially nonexistent means that you're likely to see a bit of variance between pens.

what does a gold nib do for you that a percision milled stainless steel nib can't...?

Gold is more flexible than steel is and is completely non-corrosive. However, many people (including Brian Gray of the Edison Pen Company) believe that gold nibs simply aren't worth the increase in price. In my collection of pens, about half of the pens I think would act essentially the same with a steel nib in lieu of a gold nib. It's only a select few (Pilot/Namiki pens mostly) that just wouldn't be the same.

I am assuming that eventually the poorer material pens will break down from all the handling, but the real question is do even the better pens and the vintage pens have the same kinds of quirks that need regular maintenance...? (which is one of the reason I like them, razors included)

Assuming that more expensive pens means that they automatically write better is not something that always holds out to be true. I bought a pen that was quite expensive that happened to have an improperly mated feed and nib. It had to be sent back to the manufacturer to get a new one. I've also currently got one in what I'd consider a middling price range that isn't working anywhere near what I'd like.

Top Bottom