What's new

EJ 89L: initial impressions

I'm about 2 months into wet shaving, and have been loving my Merkur 34C. After reading and watching videos for the 89L, I ponied up and ordered one from Amazon.

Upon first inspection, I was surprised to find two small surface defects in the plating on the sides of the head, and one on the underside of the head. While these won't impact its performance, I want my razor to be like a fine jewel! Also, since I bought from Amazon, I can't do an exchange: refund only. Not worth it to me to go thru all that hassle, but disappointing nonetheless.

Onto testing! I whipped up a nice rich Marco style lather with Proraso and my new Omega Pro49 (wild brush, btw!), loaded a fresh Feather stainless and got to it.

Wow, the head on this razor is VERY comfortable, and I got a great shave. However, the handle did not do it for me -- even with the lines, it was fighting to slip out of my grip. Also, the extra length compared to the 34C took a bit getting used to.

I recognize the potential of this piece, and was really looking for a stellar experience the first time out.

Does anyone make different handles? Something more like Merkur's knurled handle would suit me better, I think.

Thanks Gents! I'm going to give it another five good shaves before I decide on exactly what I'd like to do. Bob's handles look gorgeous!

Just make sure your hands are dry and free of soap during your shaves and you should not have a problem with the grip.

eric

Love my 89L and have never had a problem with slipping; but I have heard others complain of it. Echo glassmtn99's suggestions. Must admit I may have an unorthodox method of holding a razor. The base of the handle rests on my little finger.

Last edited:
The 89L is the first modern razor I used for months on end before even considering putting it down. I've only had one instance of the razor actually slipping in my hand, but it was my fault. I didn't rinse my hands after lathering like I normally do.

If I'm not mistaken EJ offers the 89 head on a "knurled handle". I don't know the exact designation but I believe a few people here have bought them. By the way, I don't have a problem with my 'L' handle slipping.

DD

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I keep a towel on the counter for two reasons- to rest the razor on while lathering, and to dry my hands afterward.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have the newer Barley Chrome handle, but the knurling is not very deep at all. May help with the grip, but my experience is your hands don't have to be dry, just free of soap. Rinse your fingers well and your grip should be fine, even wet. If there is any soap or cream on your fingers, though, watch out!

So, for tomorrow's pass I'll place a dry towel down and see how it goes. I'm moving from a 34C, which has heavy knurling, and my hands are in and out of the basin so often to get water between passes it's going to be hard to slow down.

Lots of great tips here, thanks all!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
So, for tomorrow's pass I'll place a dry towel down and see how it goes. I'm moving from a 34C, which has heavy knurling, and my hands are in and out of the basin so often to get water between passes it's going to be hard to slow down.

Lots of great tips here, thanks all!

It really helps, as I can sometimes get messy face lathering. My counter top is tile, and I just feel better resting the razor on the towel while lathering.

I have the newer Barley Chrome handle, but the knurling is not very deep at all. May help with the grip, but my experience is your hands don't have to be dry, just free of soap. Rinse your fingers well and your grip should be fine, even wet. If there is any soap or cream on your fingers, though, watch out!

Exactly my experience. I also have the barley chrome handle. Can't compare it's "slipperiness" to the other models. I would think it a bit less slippery because even thought the knurling is not deep it does provide a bit of grippy surface. I never have a problem when my fingers are merely wet. Sometimes when I apply the lather I get some on my fingers. In that case I always wipe them before picking up the razor because the lather is slippery. Other than that, no problems at all with grip.

I use the smooth and Ivory EJs, and the r89, none of em slip in a wet hand.

Now soapy = slippery

But wet, not at all for me.

Top Bottom