What's new

Japanese aftershaves

Hi Folks, I'm heading to Japan for a couple of weeks and wondering if there are any aftershaves I should look for while there. Specifically, stuff we can't easily get here in the states.

Thanks!

Bluebriz - do you have any suggestions as to the type of store I should look for? Just 薬屋? Or some place else? I'll be in Tokyo and Kansai (Osaka and Kyoto), but I'll have a lot more time in Tokyo.

My hospital is about a mile from Mitsuwa, I've been holding off the AD's but I have to give Lucido a try. Mandom too, if I like the smell.

My hospital is about a mile from Mitsuwa, I've been holding off the AD's but I have to give Lucido a try. Mandom too, if I like the smell.

When you are in the US, you can get Lucido splash and Mandom from Royal Shave. If I were you I would grab the harder to find stuff :) . Royal Shave also has Bravas and Lucido Skin Milk. The other stuff I haven't found for a reasonable price anywhere in the US.

Bluebriz - do you have any suggestions as to the type of store I should look for? Just 薬屋? Or some place else? I'll be in Tokyo and Kansai (Osaka and Kyoto), but I'll have a lot more time in Tokyo.

Pharmacies yes, also look out for big home store/DIY type places. Kahma is the more common one in this area. Those places tend to have the biggest selections of A/S. I'm sure the outskirts of the big cities would have them, but maybe not bang in the centre!

Corner drugstores are often your best bet, although department/grocery stores are good too. If you have a chance to go to one of the covered arcades, hit the little drugstores and the cosmetic shops. You'll find some good stuff.

MG5 is just about the cheapest AS you can find, and it's excellent. These days, I'm using 9 O'clock and Tactics a lot (just finished a bottle of MG5). You really have to get a bottle of Mandom too. Eroica is like Japanese Tabac (they have a citrus version too)--might be fun. I like Valcan a lot too. In addition to the AS, Valcan and Tactics have nice EdTs.

If you have a Tokyu Hands around, you might come across some interesting AS there. I picked up a couple of things from the Burley range this summer. Apparently a '60s AS made by Dial that is now being produced in Japan.

While you're at it, many drugstores stock the TTO Feather razor--it's black and silver and comes in a plastic case. Not a bad performer and nice for a travel kit.

+1 on the Valcan EdT.

I just got it and the aftershave recently and they make a great combo. I need to pickup some Tactics EdT to compliment my aftershave. I love the fresh green scent of Tactics.

Corner drugstores are often your best bet, although department/grocery stores are good too. If you have a chance to go to one of the covered arcades, hit the little drugstores and the cosmetic shops. You'll find some good stuff.

MG5 is just about the cheapest AS you can find, and it's excellent. These days, I'm using 9 O'clock and Tactics a lot (just finished a bottle of MG5). You really have to get a bottle of Mandom too. Eroica is like Japanese Tabac (they have a citrus version too)--might be fun. I like Valcan a lot too. In addition to the AS, Valcan and Tactics have nice EdTs.

If you have a Tokyu Hands around, you might come across some interesting AS there. I picked up a couple of things from the Burley range this summer. Apparently a '60s AS made by Dial that is now being produced in Japan.

While you're at it, many drugstores stock the TTO Feather razor--it's black and silver and comes in a plastic case. Not a bad performer and nice for a travel kit.

So wait do you live in Japan or just have traveled there? Just curious. Also do all the EdTs smell like their aftershave counter part?

Top Bottom