What's new

1st shave with a slim adjustable

i have been using a 38c for a few months now in between shaving with a straight. i have been getting very nice shaves with it using derbys and feathers doing 2-3 pass shaves. i finally picked up another razor (thank you ram)- a slim adjustable. i dropped a derby in it and set it at a modest 6 and went to town doing a 3 pass shave and i have to say----wow! i really like it. the setting of 6 is definitely more aggressive than the 38c.
now the sad news--- i bought it to build a small starter kit for a good friend of mine (i have a bunch of blades and a couple of arko sticks coming from gio and a tweezerman brush for him). so this is a razor that will have to be replaced. either another slim, a fat boy, a progress or even another step up to a slant but all in all i would be very happy with another slim. perfect size/weight. i will use it a few more times with a few different blades to really see how it performs.

cheers and thank y'all for the great site,

ryan

oh ya- pm me if you have a razor to part with to replace this one!

Well I just bought a later model slim (G1000) with a plastic long handle and I must say that even if it is unadjustable it shaves great! It is better and smoother than the Tech I was using before. It is almost impossible to nick or cut with this razor and it shaves slightly more aggressively (better) than the tech. I would definitely buy another Slim if I could get hold of it, for my travel kit. I wonder (thinking out loudly) if the later models of Slim (despite the plastic handle) were the ultimate razors from Gillette before they stopped making DE razors altogether.

V

VR6ofpain

Yes the Slim Adjustable and Super Adjustable Gillette's are very good shavers. I have never used a FatBoy so I can't compare, but they are very good. If you find setting 6 pretty aggressive, dial it down. My personal preference is 4 for the WTG and XTG passes, and 3 for the ATG pass. I might try 5 at some point to cut down on a pass, but right now I love the feel of 4, cuts well, but still mild.

I am likely going to sell a Slim of mine soon. Want to get a newer one. It is definitely not a show piece (some brassing under the head and few spots on top), but it is a great daily shaver. If you are interested let me know, maybe I'll pass it on to a fellow member for a good price, instead of dropping it on the 'Bay for some profit.

great!

i should try dialing down for the atg pass. i will also try sharper blades in it soon.

pm replied!

cheers,
ryan

I just got my Slim this week too. I had been using a Merkur Progress for the last ten years and wanted to try something different. I think I'm gonna mothball that Merkur!

silkysmooth-

now that is a great endorsement! i was thinking if i didnt find another slim or a fat boy i would check out a progress but now...

what setting have you been using on the slim?

cheers,
ryan

I have a Slim Super Adjustable with the plastic handle and bottom, and a 1956 Super Speed. IMHO the Super Adjustable is a great razor. I haven't touched my Super Speed in weeks.

V

VR6ofpain

I was using #3 on Progress, but now #5 with the Slim, and my shaves are so much better with the Slim.

Sweet, you just sealed the deal on my interested in a Progress. Considering the shoddy build quality of all recent Merkur razors (see the numerous threads on finishes wearing up on the Futur and Vison, or the Slants and the horrid chrome and gold finish on the head of the razor), and the odd design, I think I am going to just stick with my great vintage Gillette's.

Top Bottom