What's new

Who makes the toughest suitcases?

Note my question gentlemen, I did say tough, not best. Because we all know that Swaine Adeney Brigg makes the best suitcases but those don't work too well with airports and cost more than an average person's month of salary.

I'm looking for a tough little suitcase that will last me a lifetime. As long as it costs less than 300 Euros or so price is not an issue, it needs to be tough and be well protected against the brutalities of airport personnel. Any suggestions? Thanks! :001_smile

Pelican makes suitcases? I don't think they do. At least not for clothing and accessories. I'm not looking to transport a machine gun.

Last edited:
I think you might be asking a little too much of a 300 Euro case to last 30 or 50 years. When I think tough case I immediately think of Samsonite, but I don't know if they're in your budget. Wait.....yup, they are

www.samsonite.co.uk/cabin-luggage/category-en.htm?or=9279070517&shs={816d283a-d9f9-4c2e-90a7-481508210b8e}

I'm looking for a tough little suitcase that will last me a lifetime. As long as it costs less than 300 Euros or so price is not an issue, it needs to be tough and be well protected against the brutalities of airport personnel. Any suggestions? Thanks! :001_smile

I went on a similar hunt for a quality case a few fears back because my family is spread between Asia, the East Coast US and Europe. I spend all my major holidays travelling. I'm not a Platinum Medallion Member (probably would be if I stick to one airline!!), but I think I travel more often than the average person.

I ended up with a TravelPro. Not too expensive, light weight, and durable. Not sure if it will last a lifetime, but it's better than any case I've owned in the past.

if you need something that will outlast you, you need something with a 100 year warranty, like a Saddleback Leather. They are heavier though and more than 300 euros.

Pelican ... get a rolling travel case $199.99. These are just like a suitcase with one big chamber (usually used for camera gear, etc...) just take the foam core padding out if you want to use it for clothes. Heck you could even design your own dividers for the inside of the case.

Dave

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The Mrs. and I have been totally satisfifed for many, many years traveling with our International Traveller Augusta - 3 Piece Expandable (2½ inches expansion for extra capacity), 100% ABS/Polycarb [really tough stuff], 4 wheeled (and they swivel), Luggage Sets from 'eBags' (mine is in black and hers is sliver/beige), and with Free Shipping with purchases over $100. :thumbsup:

http://www.ebags.com/product/international-traveller/augusta-3-piece-exp-luggage-set/142906##

Christopher
proxy.php
"Did you ever notice that the first piece of luggage on the carousel never belongs to anyone"? Erma Bombeck

Attachments

• $142906_1_1.jpg
    $142906_1_1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 223
  • $142906_2_1.jpg
    $142906_2_1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 223
  • $142906_1_3.jpg
    $142906_1_3.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 223
  • $142906_1_2.jpg
    $142906_1_2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Pelican ... get a rolling travel case $199.99. These are just like a suitcase with one big chamber (usually used for camera gear, etc...) just take the foam core padding out if you want to use it for clothes. Heck you could even design your own dividers for the inside of the case.

Dave

Do you actually use a pelican case to travel with? How do you find the weight? You must travel light since their cases are quite heavy, which isn't really conducive for air travel. Their 1510 carry-on is 12lbs, and 22" 1610 is 20lbs empty without foam. My cases weighs less than half that. Not sure if that's a concern for the OP, but I thought I would point that out.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
having been a baggage handler in the past, i can tell you that delsey luggage seems to hold up very well at reasonable prices. everything else has fallen apart in my hands. All my luggage is now delsey. My carry on has lasted over 5 years with regular use very well.

I think you might be asking a little too much of a 300 Euro case to last 30 or 50 years. When I think tough case I immediately think of Samsonite, but I don't know if they're in your budget. Wait.....yup, they are

www.samsonite.co.uk/cabin-luggage/category-en.htm?or=9279070517&shs={816d283a-d9f9-4c2e-90a7-481508210b8e}

+1 on samsonite. I have had good results with all of there stuff including duffle bags. I have had the same luggage for 10 years and it holds up well.

Anything with a bio-hazard sticker on it. Buy a bunch of bio-hazard stickers and put them on your luggage. Even fine china in a duffel bag will be safe. Just make sure you take a very close look around the luggage carousel before you pick up your bags.

I was going to say Rimowa too but that stuff is really expensive. The polycarbonate is tough but light.

Samsonite just came out with a new material ("Curve") that they claim is tougher than anything else they make. I went to a store and they had me stand on a piece. Pretty solid! More than 300 euros, though.

Here's the link.

Last edited:
Top Bottom