What's new

Antique Store Find

I found these 2 razors at an antique store. Does the autostrop give a good shave? Can blades still be bought for the autostrop razor? How do you change blades on it (Newb question i know). The other razor i'm not sure what it is other than it has Gillette printed on it.

Attachments

• $auto1.jpg
    $auto1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 304
  • $auto2.jpg
    $auto2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 298
nice find don't know about the autostrop but the red tip will give you a good shave when you try the autostrop let us know how it shaves

That Red Tip is a beauty. Many people think of it as their finest shaving razor. Very collectible and in demand.

I found these 2 razors at an antique store. Does the autostrop give a good shave? Can blades still be bought for the autostrop razor? How do you change blades on it (Newb question i know).

Yes, you can still get blades for the Auto-Strop. With some models you can modify a standard SE blade to fit, but with others you need special blades that have knock-outs in the face of the blade that fit onto pins in the razor. I'm not well versed enough in the varieties of Auto-Strop to know from the back view that you've posted, but if you post a pic of the front of the razor I could tell you.

Razor Blades & More has the special Feathers in stock at the moment.

Nice razors. I really like using the Valet Autostrops a lot, and it depends on which model you have as to what blade to use. Does it have a "gate" with the word VALET cut out in it? If so, you need to use Feather blades that can be purchased at www.razorbladesandmore.com

If it has a slotted piece without the VALET cutout you can use a regular single edge blade in it by removing the spine.Or if you're really adventurous you can hone and strop the original blades. Can you take a picture of the front of the VAS?

Yes, you can still get blades for the Auto-Strop. With some models you can modify a standard SE blade to fit, but with others you need special blades that have knock-outs in the face of the blade that fit onto pins in the razor. I'm not well versed enough in the varieties of Auto-Strop to know from the back view that you've posted, but if you post a pic of the front of the razor I could tell you.

Razor Blades & More has the special Feathers in stock at the moment.

Here are a couple more pictures.

Attachments

• $auto3.jpg
    $auto3.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 264
  • $auto4.jpg
    $auto4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 266
Here are a couple more pictures.

Yup, you're going to need the special Feathers to use that one, unless you feel like sharpening up the old blades you've got there. You can see the pins there in the V, L, and T that were nominally to help the razor hold the blade in place but were really there more to prevent you from using anything other than the "VALET" blades with the razor.

Yup, you're going to need the special Feathers to use that one, unless you feel like sharpening up the old blades you've got there. You can see the pins there in the V, L, and T that were nominally to help the razor hold the blade in place but were really there more to prevent you from using anything other than the "VALET" blades with the razor.

I looked at the razor blades & more web site Is it part # fseb-05 the blades i need $4.50 for 5? Thanks!

I looked at the razor blades & more web site Is it part # fseb-05 the blades i need $4.50 for 5? Thanks!

Yep, those are the ones you need. That's a VC4 produced from around 1941 -1946, probaly my favorite VAS. You open it by pivoting those little "wings" on the side of the blade to release the blade.

Last edited:
Are you talking about moving the locking tab to change the blade angle a little?

No, I am referring to their only adjustable model which was developed after the first spring loaded version. It came in before the model c (the one frequently seen in the 'coffin' case) and has an entirely adjustable guard depth - which defined the 'coarseness' of the shave, according to Auto Strop. Coarse, being a wide blade gap down to a 'fine' gap which can be adjusted so slight that even the most sensitive stubble growers would be happy. It was in production I believe starting prior to 1910 and went at least into the mid to late 1920's. The quality did change though and the earlier ones (those that did not have the Valet name, but were called 'Auto Strop' razors) were much more solid.

I haven't shaved with anything else in the Auto Strop line since discovering this shaver. They were frequently silver plated and make lovely razors. For those who like aggressive razors, you could shave a buffalo's butt with this one if necessary! However, if you don't like that, turn it down some and enjoy a soft shave - although you do need the new feather Haney blades. This is the one to get! (Although they are tough to locate - and hard to nail down using eBay photos. Worth it though!)

proxy.php

See the instructions here > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ksenor/4147307435/in/set-72157622783983107/

It came in several styles - both silver plate and gold - this particular one seen below is also in a silver plate case.

(Here is one for sale on eBay - not an auction - at a pretty high price, but there are some good photos so you can see the bottom and back of this razor http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Valet-Auto-STROP-Safety-Razor-kit-/320684948582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa4ffc66)

proxy.php

Last edited:
That's interesting, I've never seen one that was advertised as being adjustable. I have a couple of the B models that I can adjust the blade gap by how far the tab is pushed, I think we discussed this before over at TOS, but they don't have the instruction sheet. The ones pictured should take a modified SE blade since it just slides into the holder.

Top Bottom