What's new

Mid-way brush restoration Check in!

So thanks to this thread, I decided to restore my grandfather's old Ever-Ready c40. Getting the old knot out was a pain. I put a small crack in the top of the brush, but not to bad.

I am posting to check if I have screwed anything up so far. I have done the following steps

1. Get out old knot,
2. Put epoxy, pennies, epoxy, pennies, ect... untill I liked the heft.
3. Filled in the majority of the center with sawdust and epoxy.
4. Right now I am waiting for it to dry.

If this is correct, I will scuff up the tray I made for it (or maybe put one more penny if need be to make the knot sit correctly), and scuff up the bottom of my knot, and put a thin layer of epoxy on the brush, and on the knot, and set it in.

Does this sound good? I have a cheap knot to put in, but I don't want to have to drill it out again...

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you are using pre-1982 pennies. They are solid copper and weigh alittle more. post 1982 are mostly zinc.

So thanks to this thread, I decided to restore my grandfather's old Ever-Ready c40. Getting the old knot out was a pain. I put a small crack in the top of the brush, but not to bad.

I am posting to check if I have screwed anything up so far. I have done the following steps

1. Get out old knot,
2. Put epoxy, pennies, epoxy, pennies, ect... untill I liked the heft.
3. Filled in the majority of the center with sawdust and epoxy.
4. Right now I am waiting for it to dry.

If this is correct, I will scuff up the tray I made for it (or maybe put one more penny if need be to make the knot sit correctly), and scuff up the bottom of my knot, and put a thin layer of epoxy on the brush, and on the knot, and set it in.
Does this sound good? I have a cheap knot to put in, but I don't want to have to drill it out again...

Thanks in advance.

Yes. Spread the epoxy on, then set it in. If you just pour epoxy in the handle, you'll have a nasty suprize when it comes oozing out. (This I found out the hard way). Also, put masking tape over the handle, and cut out a hole... this will prevent any accidents from contacting the outside of the brush.

Yes. Spread the epoxy on, then set it in. If you just pour epoxy in the handle, you'll have a nasty suprize when it comes oozing out. (This I found out the hard way). Also, put masking tape over the handle, and cut out a hole... this will prevent any accidents from contacting the outside of the brush.

Thanks! Pics will come later!

Top Bottom