Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Mid-way brush restoration Check in!

  1. #1

    Default Mid-way brush restoration Check in!

    So thanks to this thread, I decided to restore my grandfather's old Ever-Ready c40. Getting the old knot out was a pain. I put a small crack in the top of the brush, but not to bad.

    I am posting to check if I have screwed anything up so far. I have done the following steps

    1. Get out old knot,
    2. Put epoxy, pennies, epoxy, pennies, ect... untill I liked the heft.
    3. Filled in the majority of the center with sawdust and epoxy.
    4. Right now I am waiting for it to dry.

    If this is correct, I will scuff up the tray I made for it (or maybe put one more penny if need be to make the knot sit correctly), and scuff up the bottom of my knot, and put a thin layer of epoxy on the brush, and on the knot, and set it in.

    Does this sound good? I have a cheap knot to put in, but I don't want to have to drill it out again...

    Thanks in advance.
    Ben

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Weatherford, Oklahoma
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Make sure you are using pre-1982 pennies. They are solid copper and weigh alittle more. post 1982 are mostly zinc.

  3. #3
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmall View Post
    Make sure you are using pre-1982 pennies. They are solid copper and weigh alittle more. post 1982 are mostly zinc.
    AHHH. That's the part that's done! But thanks!
    Ben

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The town Billy Joel bashes at every concert he performs.
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowmankilla View Post
    So thanks to this thread, I decided to restore my grandfather's old Ever-Ready c40. Getting the old knot out was a pain. I put a small crack in the top of the brush, but not to bad.

    I am posting to check if I have screwed anything up so far. I have done the following steps

    1. Get out old knot,
    2. Put epoxy, pennies, epoxy, pennies, ect... untill I liked the heft.
    3. Filled in the majority of the center with sawdust and epoxy.
    4. Right now I am waiting for it to dry.

    If this is correct, I will scuff up the tray I made for it (or maybe put one more penny if need be to make the knot sit correctly), and scuff up the bottom of my knot, and put a thin layer of epoxy on the brush, and on the knot, and set it in.
    Does this sound good? I have a cheap knot to put in, but I don't want to have to drill it out again...

    Thanks in advance.
    Yes. Spread the epoxy on, then set it in. If you just pour epoxy in the handle, you'll have a nasty suprize when it comes oozing out. (This I found out the hard way). Also, put masking tape over the handle, and cut out a hole... this will prevent any accidents from contacting the outside of the brush.
    Just a traveling cat in a tall black hat riding a goat. Nothing to see here.

  5. #5
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DamnFineBob View Post
    Yes. Spread the epoxy on, then set it in. If you just pour epoxy in the handle, you'll have a nasty suprize when it comes oozing out. (This I found out the hard way). Also, put masking tape over the handle, and cut out a hole... this will prevent any accidents from contacting the outside of the brush.
    Thanks! Pics will come later!
    Ben

Similar Threads

  1. brush restoration?
    By flycbyrd in forum Brush Making and Restorations
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 07:43 AM
  2. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 04:47 AM
  3. Brush restoration help
    By Storer50 in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 07:34 PM
  4. Check out my chubby restoration
    By heirkb in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
  5. My First Brush Restoration
    By Sluggo in forum Shaving Brushes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 07:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.