What's new

Lighter Fluid

I have decided that I am done with butane lighters. I have decided to just stick with my old, reliable Zippo. I have always used Ronsonol as the fluid, but it has a pretty pungent odor when lighting up. I thought I remembered someone (probably jwhite) posting of an alternate lighter fluid that burned a little cleaner. I would like to know if that was my imagination or not, because all I have found on my own is Zippo brand, or Ronsonol. I will not be trying charcoal lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol, everclear or any of the other suggestions I've come across on the web. If Ronsonol is as good as it gets, I'm fine with that, the fluid taste goes away after the first few puffs.

I use the zippo brand fluid in the black can, it's way better than the yellow ronsonol fluid.

+1 and let it burn a moment after lighting, on well used zippos the wick can develop a an oily coating especially when using less refined fuels and changing the wick helps. Even with the best fuels and a good wick they are not truly tasteless but you will find it much improved.

Legion

Staff member
Zippo have changed the formula of their lighter fluid in the last five or ten years. It doesn't smell nearly as strongly as it used to in the old days.

Zippo fluid it is! Thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye out for it at the store. I have never tried the Zippo fluid because Dad always used Ronsonol, probably because of price.

Zippo fluid it is! Thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye out for it at the store. I have never tried the Zippo fluid because Dad always used Ronsonol, probably because of price.

IMO Zippo fluid is worth the extra cost, lights easily every time and doesn't stink nearly as much. I've tried others and always gone back to the black can.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I went to my local cigar store yesterday. It is in a grocery store. Evey shelf in the place was filled with Zippo fluid. I asked if they sold zippo lighters . . . no none in stock. I don't think they actually had a cigar in stock.

Top Bottom