What's new

The Inevitable Chili Thread

I make a pretty solid White Chicken Chili

Start off with roasting a chicken full of onions and garlic all day, I then pull of the meat, shred it by hand and make stock with the bones and few veggies.

In a large stock pot, I begin with a 1/4 pound bacon, then saute onions, garlic, and tomatillos. I season that will a variety of chili powders, smoked salt and pink and green pepper. The mixture is most tomatillos, about 3 times as much as the onions/garlic. To this I add a splash of tequila and then the shredded chicken and stock along with a puree of smoked dried (then hydrated) chilis. After reducing for an hour or so, I add a cup of cream and reduce that a bit as well. Final seasoning adjustments and it's ready to go.

Wow, Tim. That sounds good! Mine is much simpler. I start off smoking either a chicken, or some breasts on a Big Green Egg. Once those are mostly done, I throw it all into a Dutch oven with white beans, browned onion/garlic, some beer (usually a flavorful ale), and green chiles. The D.O. goes back on the Egg uncovered for a couple of hours to cook/smoke some more. If I need to be more hands off, I bypass the D.O. and use a crockpot. It still comes out pretty darned good.

Making chili is not rocket science...it is an experiment in progress. I've been cooking since the late '70's when I was in high school. And I have found that some things are more fun and better when you don't follow a recipe. So, since we all know the "basic" chili recipe, gather together your ingredients, and experiment. Write down what you do, but throw things together the way that you think would taste good. Ground beef (or your substitute such as ground turkey), onions of various varieties, garlic, tomatoes, whatever. The key is to experiment to find what you like. Just remember..."there ain't no beans in real chili!!!"

Randy (Beans = Filler)

Lots of ways to make chili- beer and masa seems to be the new thing- Even Alton Brown used them in his chili show. Not for me tho- I have adapted a recipe I got in a Marlboro Cigarettes cookbook some years ago. No beans, no beer, no masa, no crackers, no rice.
Not intended to be 4 alarm, but the last batch some years ago was definitely 4 alarm. After 2 or 3 spoons you had to take a break, but it was soo good you had to have more. Good friend of mine from Texas said it was the best he'd ever tastes. I suppose you would call it cowboy style chili.

Now, I could tell you all my secrets, but then.....:001_tt2:

Yeah, I made a batch last winter that was just flat rude. Apparently the serranos growing in my backyard were very manly serranos. I mean, I'm good friends with Mr. Habanero but this stuff was just unusually hot for the number of peppers I put in there.

I thought I'd bump this thread back up since I'm interested in a good chili recipe. Remember, in Texas, chili does not have beans.

So, after reviewing this thread again, does anyone else have a favorite chili recipe?

Better not read this post in Texas.

Of course, the beans don't have to be cooked in the chili, it's just that they'll taste better than way. I'll try to adjust this a bit and call it B.C. Chili & Beans, and maybe then Texans can read it without having a heart attack.

You start off browning the hell out of some really tough but flavourful bits of a four-legged animal. I liked it in 1x1 inch cubes myself, or maybe small ragged strips. Although I will usually go for the BBQ any time I get the chance, I want all of the juice from this meat, so I render it in a pot. As the blood and fat drains out and cooks into a gravy, I pour it off into a second pot. If liquid builds up around the meat it'll cook at too low a temperature, so you have to keep on top of this. As the meat gets completely browned (at a low-medium temperature - high enough to ensure the Maillard reactions take place, but low enough that they go fairly deep into the meat without drying it out) toss it into the juice in the other pot. Once most of your meat is in there add a beer, some bourbon, and about a cup of BBQ sauce (homemade is preferred). Keep it simmering low for now. Make sure to save a bit of the juice in your first pot as you pull the last of the meat out and put it into the sauce, then turn the meat and sauce up to boil briefly before simmering again.

Hopefully you chopped your vegetables up first, or you're going to end up with mush. Start with your onions and garlic, but don't let them get soft before you add celery and bell peppers. Add some hot pepper at this sauteing stage as well, but reserve some for later as well. You know how you like your tomatoes; either you stewed some fresh tomatoes first thing or you have some paste you intend to add. Maybe you're just going to pour some salsa in, doesn't matter. It's time to add it to the pot, that's all. Now that the vegetables are seared, the onions are beginning to become clear and you dumped your favourite tomato stuff in there, add water to cover the veggies. Time for the rest of your hot peppers, and the spices. Make sure to divide your spices between the meat pot and the vegetable pot. If you want to get tricky you can spice them slightly different so that each mouthful of the chili varies a bit more. Let the veggies simmer for a little while, then cool 'em and throw them in the fridge while the meat stews. After a few hours it should be fairly tender. Combine the meat with the vegetables, including about half of the sauce the meat was cooking in, and put that pot back on the heat, bringing it to a nice simmer. The rest of the sauce is for cooking your beans (that you soaked the night before). I like a mixture of black beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans, but it's up to you. Stew those guys till the chickpeas are very soft. Strain the beans, scoop them into a bowl and pour the chili over top.

Chili with beans, and maybe nobody will complain about it.

Now, personally,
I would have just added the beans to the veggies after the water went in.

Anyway, other than the fact that your nose goes out of joint every time someone suggests that they might have a place in a chili, what's the problem with beans?

There's nothing wrong with Pinto beans, but kidneys? Garbanzos?

Yeesh.

('course, I'm from Arizona, so...)

There's nothing wrong with Pinto beans, but kidneys? Garbanzos?

Yeesh.

('course, I'm from Arizona, so...)

Beans is gooood eatin'. Garbanzos, when cooked properly, have this kind of nutty/buttery thing happening. If they aren't good, they were not prepared right. Or they aren't your thing, whatever. Kidneys are just great all-around beans, and they look good in a stew. Cook 'em till they're creamy and you get a nice, thick sauce.

If you're willing to break a Texan's heart, at least.

Funny story, in our house, we have "Mexican Bean Soup" because the girls are convinced they don't like Chili. Maybe they had a bad experience one time, I don't know. But for a while now, they've been in love with my wife's Mexican Bean Soup. Well, tonight, after they were nearly done with their bowls, she "spilled the beans" so to speak.. and told them that Mexican Bean Soup was another name for Chili.. the older daughter just laughed and kept eating, but my 5 year old got ALL RED :blushing: and was very upset that she was duped. But luckily, she got over it quickly and continued to eat her Chili. At least now we don't have to lie to get them to eat! :lol:

-Mason

My favourite quick/easy chili recipe uses the following:

beef cut into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes - for a real treat, use a rib steak but anything decent will do, brown over med-high heat, season with salt and pepper and set aside.

Saute some onions until softened, add some garlic and whole lot of really fresh chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander and cayenne to taste. Stir in with the onions and garlic until nice and fragrant (about 1 minute) if you burn the spices, you'll ruin the whole batch.

Add the browned beef back in, add a can of tomatoes (puree or diced) and some liquid - dark beer, beef stock, red wine, or whatever you fancy.

Simmer low and slow and adjust the seasonings/heat to taste using either more cayenne or a favourite hot sauce.

I often add a little brown sugar or dark maple syrup - not so you can taste it, but just to take the edge of/round out the flavour.

Give it at least an hour - longer is better.

About 10 - 15 minutes before serving toss in some chickpeas (which I like better than kidney beans) - that way they soak up the flavour, but don't get mushy.

Delish!

I generally just follow the basic recipe. For every pound of meat use 1 tblspn of chile powder and 1 teaspn of cumin. What meat you use is up to you. Add onions and garlic to taste. I add a can of diced tomatoes. A bottle porter or stout. I sometimes use a can of jalapenos or cayenne powder. In addition I like to use a can of mild green peppers. sometimes I'll float a couple of jalapenos or an anaheim pepper in it while it cooks, then toward the end I'll take it out remove the seeds and cut it up and put it back in. As a thickening agent I use rice, usually a couple of tablespoons, instead of masa. Depending on what kind of mood I'm in I may or may not add beans. Last batch I made (last week) had beans in it. Also about 20 minutes before its done, I add mexican oregano to taste. After studying various chile recipes and the history of chile let me tell you that adding rice go back a long ways to the cavalry days. A recipe I read for the US Army called for cooking chiles in a skillet with the meat and water, adding some rice and maybe some onion if available. And that goes back to the around the 1880's IRRC.
One thing I can't stand is when somebody make chile using these so-called chile beans. Tastes awful. They're letting some company determine what their chile tastes like. May as well buy a can of Hormel and be done with it.
Now if you want another opinion of chile go to this site. Belongs to Cindy Reed Wilkins. The only person to have won the championship down in Terlingua two years in a row.
http://www.cinchili.com/

In Texas chili developed as a simple, spicy (read: hot) meat stew, cooked mostly for the poor man, the working man, the cowboy and the prisoner (where some of the best chili was cooked). The meat used was usually tough, low grade shredded beef that had to slowly simmer for hours to make it edible. The ground chili gave it flavor and heat.

The chili powder should not be the store bought kind that features some sort ground hot pepper powder and other spices and aromatics such as cumin, coriander, garlic powder, onion powder, etc. Real chili powder is a simply a ground, powdered dried red chili of some kind and only chili. Nothing else.

Here is my favorite recipe for a decent bowl of Red.

2 tablespoons of lard, butter or bacon dripping
1 large onion coarsely chopped
3 pounds lean shredded beef. (I get three pounds of stew meat, and shred it in the food processor)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons hot red chili
4 tablespoons mild red chili
2 teaspoons cumin
3 cups water
2 teaspoons salt

1 In a heavy pot (I like cast iron), saute the onion in the lard, butter or bacon drippings.

2 In a separate bowl mix the beef, garlic, chilies, cumin and salt.

3 Add the meat mixture to the onions and stir until browned.

4 Add the water and simmer for about three hours until the meat tender and the flavors well melded, stirring occasionally and adding some water if necessary. Tasting every so often is part of the fun and having a cold beer handy while cooking adds to the merriment.

I like to serve beer with this dish, although it does not get the heat off your tongue. Pain is just part of the karma. If you are Baptist, serve iced tea (sorry, old joke between me and a friend).

Purists will never add beans, but cook those separately. In Texas, beans are pinto beans. No other bean need apply. People in New Mexico did add beans, but that is considered a perversion in Texas.

Sorry, I love chili and tend to be a bit of chili snob.

Let me start by saying that I am Italian, born and raised in norther VA, living in Richmond VA for the past 7 years, and I lived with a texan for 4 years in recent time. Shocking similarities are present between chili and Italian sauce, but here are my thoughts.

First off, the absolute worst thing that you can do to ruin a pot of chili is to begin measuring. The best thing you can do is throw away your measuring spoon/cup, and taste it. It doesn't matter if everyone else likes it, only if you do. That being said, these are the general rules that I follow when making chili.

garlic
onions
Meat (at least 2 types of critter... I usually use beef and pork, substitute as you fell necessary. BTW, I find leftover barbecued pork works exceptionally well.)
spices (this does NOT include chili powder. The second worst thing you can do is use store bought powder. Do yourself a favor, and buy the spices whole, toast them in a dry pan, and grind them yourself)
tomatos
beans (I know treasonous to some, but I like them)
salt+pepper
chiles ( I prefer chipotles and anchos, seeds removed)
beer ( again, my preference is brown ales, YYMV)

finally, I like a decent amount of cinnamon in my chili. I know its a Cincinnati thing, but I've always loved the flavor. Serve over elbow macaroni, with sharp cheddar and onions, and enjoy.

Remember, don't measure, and make your own home toasted spice blend. That alone makes the difference. If you want to get fancy you can begin adding beef demi-glace, mushrooms, duck fat, and other exotic spices. These recipes have their place, but they get away from the true essence of chili.

One of my favorite things in the world is Frito Pie . . . which involves chili, but---since you're ladling it over corn chips and topping it with grated cheese anyway---tends not to require much purism or snobbery. :001_rolle

I start by sauteing a diced Texas Sweet onion or two in some olive oil. You could use bacon, bacon fat, or even lard, I suppose, but my own digestion would never recover from that. :blush:

Meat is variable. Ground sirloin or extra lean, usually, but sometimes I'll add a pound of ground brisket for flavor, or even ground pork. Brown it with the onions, and add good quality powdered chili until it turns red. Then add some more. Follow with cumin, cayenne, and paprika. Add a little Tabasco . . . Chipotle and Jalapeno are both good choices. Add a little Trappey's Red Devil.

You may be sensing a theme by now. :biggrin:

Tomatos are one of those "controversial" additions, and real chili doesn't use them. But few dishes are unimproved by adding a few cans of Ro-Tel, and I always do. Their "Chili Fixins" line is particularly good.

Here's the kicker: add a can of commercial chili, no beans. That'll give you some masa thickening, and a slow-simmered flavor. I like to simmer it all for a couple hours after that anyway, but it doesn't need all day this way. Still lots better, and WAY hotter, the next day. I like to make plenty and freeze some for that very reason.

Serve over Fritos in a bowl and top with grated cheddar. You'll love it.

NANP™

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

CHILI COOKOFF RULES

ORIGINAL TERLINGUA INTERNATIONAL
FRANK X. TOLBERT - WICK FOWLER MEMORIAL
CHAMPIONSHIP CHILI COOKOFF, INC.
1400 Mockingbird Dr., GRAPEVINE, TX 76051

Tolbert Rules as of March 2, 2007

Note - The phrase “Terlingua Championship” will mean the Original Terlingua Frank X. Tolbert – Wick Fowler Memorial Championship Chili Cookoff when stated in these rules.

I. RULES FOR CHILI COMPETITION

A. PAPERWORK

1. Head cook or designee must register (name and address) at Cookoff Headquarters for chili and/or showmanship.

2. Head cook or designee will draw their judging cup and sign for receipt at Registration, Head Cooks Meeting or as determined by Cookoff. Remove the numbered ticket from the cup, write your name on the back and put in a safe place.

Winners will be announced by this number and it must be presented to claim the award.

3. Cooks must not "mark" cup in any way. If cup is damaged, a replacement can be obtained by turning in damaged cup and numbered ticket.

4. Cooks must be 18 years old or older to be eligible to earn points at a cookoff or to qualify to cook at Terlingua.

B. PREPARING CHILI

1. Chili must be cooked on site the day of the cookoff from scratch. "Scratch" means starting with raw meat and using regular spices. "Scratch" means starting with raw meat and spices. Commercial chili powder is permissible, but complete
commercial chili mixes are NOT permitted.

2. Chili must be prepared out in the open in as sanitary a manner as possible.

3. No beans, pasta, rice or other similar items are allowed.

4. The head cook must prepare the chili to be judged.

C. TURNING IN CHILI

1. No more than one judging sample can be taken from any one pot.

2. Each cook may turn in only one cup of chili.

3. At turn-in time, fill your cup ¾ full (or leave at least 1 inch head space) and take it to the Cookoff Headquarters. Do not be late.

4. Your chili will be judged on Appearance, Aroma and Taste.

II. FRANK X. TOLBERT SECRET JUDGING SYSTEM - CHILI

For more info...

http://www.abowlofred.com/Tolbert_Rules.htm

Randy

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

For more info...

http://www.abowlofred.com/Tolbert_Rules.htm

Randy

History is on your side, you don't need to quote rules. Beans were not an original part of chili. However, they're good eating, and they match well with chili (hence the historical habit of serving beans with chili). And the beans taste even better if you cook them right in the chili. Sure, if there are beans cooked into it, it is not an authentic chili, fair enough. But it makes for a tasty variation on the recipe, uses less pots than cooking them separately and has a good effect on the texture of both. Sometimes something is too right to be wrong, whatever history and authorities try to say :001_smile

History is on your side, you don't need to quote rules. Beans were not an original part of chili. However, they're good eating, and they match well with chili (hence the historical habit of serving beans with chili). And the beans taste even better if you cook them right in the chili. Sure, if there are beans cooked into it, it is not an authentic chili, fair enough. But it makes for a tasty variation on the recipe, uses less pots than cooking them separately and has a good effect on the texture of both. Sometimes something is too right to be wrong, whatever history and authorities try to say :001_smile

True, but having beans in chili is 100% wrong. Not 95%, not even 99%. Full-blown 100%. The only reason beans started in chili was because it was filler that was a lot cheaper than meat.

Kind of like how some have used Corn Flakes in their meatloaf over the years... much cheaper than going the all-meat route.

About once a year we'll make a big pot of Cincinnati Chili. This can be served "2 way" (over spaghetti), "3 way" (spaghetti plus loads of finely shredded cheddar on top), "4 way" (spaghetti, cheese, and diced onions), or :eek: "5 way" (spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans). Oyster crackers are a typical accompaniment (If you can find them, I vastly prefer Westminster oyster crackers to Zesta).

The recipe itself is subject to some controversy. I've done a bit of research over the years to come to this approach, which I find to be quite true to the original.

Chili, Cincinnati Style

Combine 3 cups of cold water and two pounds of ground beef in a large pot. (80/20-ish is best here -- you want the fat. There'll be a bunch. This is not a heart-healthy recipe!) Stir well to break up the meat. After your arm nears its falling off point, add the following: (I suggest a mix somewhat akin to these quantities, though we play with it a bit)

2 big finely chopped onions
2 tsp garlic powder (+1 on suggestions to use the good stuff)
4 Tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 Tbs ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1.5 tsp salt
2 bay leaves (whole)
small (6 oz.) can of tomato paste
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 ounce square unsweetened chocolate

Stir gently, summon high heat, and bring the mix to a boil. Once you see the boil, cover the pot and back off on the heat to maintain a hard simmer for the next 90-110 minutes or so (Go watch some football. Stir the pot each time you head back to the kitchen to grab a beer. It your timer's going off but the Bengals are driving down the field with two minutes left to win the game, don't worry about the chili, it'll contentedly simmer until you return to the kitchen, crushed by yet another Cincy loss.)

Now, take that lid off and keep the simmer going for another 20 minutes or so (in other words, long enough to boil water and cook spaghetti). You're aiming for about 2 hours of total post-boil cooking time. That's it! Be not alarmed by the quarter-inch oil slick atop your pot. That stuff stirs right back in, and carries the flavor!

Every chili that I make is a little different. I'll start with a basic recipe that includes beef, onions, green bell peppers, crushed tomatoes (or diced) and tomato paste, along with salt, black pepper, and chili powder being the basic sneezonings in it. From there I'll adjust the recipe as I feel like, which can include:

• ground cumin
  • Tabasco red
  • Tabasco green
  • ground red pepper
  • celery
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Liquid smoke flavoring (Coglin's)
  • jalapeno
I have even taken to putting in just a piece of some dried habanero peppers that Third Eye gave me (after waving it over the pot in a threatening manner). And if I have any fast food hot sauce or salsa packets laying around, then they could find their way into the chili.

If you want something a different, try making chili with ground lamb. When I do that I tell people that it's my Armadilly Chili, made with road killed armadillo.

Oh yeah, beans also make their way into the chili sometimes. I don't care what any self proclaimed expert (or Texas) insists on, beans add flavor!

I made a pot of chili this afternoon while watching the Alabama game on TV. Made it in a slow cooker, aka crock pot. We ate it after the game with a bottle of hearty Spanish red from Jimilla. It was all very tasty.

Let's see if I can remember what all went into it.

2 cans black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can Rotel
1 can diced green chilies
about 2 T tomato paste
2 T homemade chili powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t Kitchen Bouquet
2 t diced garlic
1 T dried onions
2 t sugar
about 1/2 c Pace chunky salsa
2 t Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 lb browned ground beef

That's all I can think of. I cooked it for three hours on high and about two hours on low. It not only tasted good, it looked good too.

Tim

Tim

Top Bottom