What's new

Handle & Head - mix & match to make your favorite razor.

I use the superb Muhle R41 (2011 model) razor.But ... I prefer a "heavy" handle.So I took the head of the Muhle R41,and placed it on a Merkur Ergonomic Satin Blue handle - which is thick,heavy and made from solid aluminium.This gives this razor extra weight,and makes an already aggressive cutter,even more so!
It is my favorite DE razor by far! Anyone else tried this mix and match approach with their collection?And what are the results?

Attachments

• $Merkur DE.jpg
    $Merkur DE.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 120
I have tried many options but lately the EJ barley chrome Chatsworth, EJ Lined bulbous, BRW, DR Harris, GeoTrumper handles have found homes with some Gillette heads.
My go to tools now are the R41 on BRW's.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Just like you, I prefer heavier handles ... I've put a Stahly Live Blade head onto one of cooncatbob's Bull Mastiff handles to create a WBF (World's Best Frankenrazor.)

You're the only person I know that has one of those Merkur Ergonomic razors ... I've been intrigued by them for a long time. I think the design is great, if only they hadn't made it in such garish colors! A regular chrome model should have been the standard, and I think it would have sold well. Even with the ugly colors, I went looking to buy one a few days ago, but none of our favorite e-vendors have them in stock anymore.

Frankenrazor man here! My favorite is the handle from a hybrid big fellow/big boy and a New Deluxe or New longcomb head. I just got my Muhle Toothcomb but I don't think I'll be using it just yet do to a defect.

Me too, me too! A while ago, I picked up an old Hoffritz slant at an antique store. Great head, but wimpy, light little handle--I'm also a heavy-handle lover. Tried the handle from my EJ DE87 (the ivory variant of the DE89), and found shaving nirvana... almost. That day will come when I finally purchase a BRW Bull Mastiff handle for it.

Top Bottom