What's new

Advice sought on shaving problem area: corners of the mouth

I'm having much difficulty with shaving the bristly hairs at the corners of my mouth. Granted they are not that noticeable unless up close in the mirror, buy I know that they are there and can feel them. I am trying my best to remove them by shaving across the grain from my ear to the corner of my mouth and the from the corner back to my ear. Additionally, I try to make an "o" face and flatten my skin, but to little avail. I've also noticed that if I try to hard to shave down the hairs in this area, I receive small cuts around the corners. The hairs tend to be almost a quarter of an inch and right on the edge of my lips and the skin on my face. Thanks in advance.

being new myself, I have been taking care of those in the shower with my Mach3. I plan on being able to get them with my DE, but right now I am cheating with the cart.

This is a delicate area to shave! How does a WTG pass and one XTG pass work? It's good you found out that too much pressure will damage the skin there! My pressure in that area seems to feel like negative pressure, although I know it is not. Go for an irritation free shave there using WTG and one XTG pass for a few days and check the results. If you concentrate on no irritation, a closer shave follows as your technic improves.

I shave there by pushing my tongue through my teeth and pushing the skin out (making it convex) from the inside. Stretching the skin may help too, but I don't need that.

I'm having much difficulty with shaving the bristly hairs at the corners of my mouth. Granted they are not that noticeable unless up close in the mirror, buy I know that they are there and can feel them. I am trying my best to remove them by shaving across the grain from my ear to the corner of my mouth and the from the corner back to my ear. Additionally, I try to make an "o" face and flatten my skin, but to little avail. I've also noticed that if I try to hard to shave down the hairs in this area, I receive small cuts around the corners. The hairs tend to be almost a quarter of an inch and right on the edge of my lips and the skin on my face. Thanks in advance.

~~~Must be some tough hairs for you to remove by shaving if you have been at this for a year according to your join date. when I was using a DE or SE razor I had no trouble with the same hairs but when I started using a STR8 razor I noticed the same as you have...those pesky hairs right at the corners of my mouth not coming off, now here's how I solved that dilema. I used the tip of my toungue pushing that part of my mouth higher so the razor's edge would catch it. Problem solved. Also, I can catch those hairs shaving WTG...no need to go ATG (in my experience) which can cause razor burn as that area is quite sensitive for almost everyone

Something else you could try is changing the angle of the razor shaving over this area but if you are successfully shaving everywhere else, your problem is most likely the hairs are lying lower than the rest of your beard hair, so try pushing that area up with your tongue inside your mouth

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Oh brother, I feel your pain. The trickiest spots to shave properly, without question. I find that I have to go ATG here, otherwise it just doesn't feel right. I've even gone over them with an electric razor afterwards just to do the job well enough!

There are some good tips here - pressing your tongue against your cheek especially. Some people tell you to leave these areas until last, to give the lather a chance to soften the hairs more, but actually I find better results by doing the opposite - shaving all around my mouth early on while the lather is still warm.

Some days are still better than others, so I just accept that I may get a small cut here on occasion. I always keep the styptic pencil ready to hand!

I just blow out my cheeks and mustache area. I don't know if you're using a DE or str8 or cart...? People's lips and cheeks are different, then add in the fact that we're all using something different to shave with. Even between DEs shaves are different so it's really hard to decifer what may be your actual problem. You could try pinching your lip with your fingers like some barbers do, frown your lips, there's a myriad of things that you can do. Just practice and don't get frustrated.

Try not to cheat either....if you're using a DE then Mach 3-ing a tough spot, it's hard self control but the only way to learn to use a razor is to well...use a razor!!!!

I stretch the skin there while dropping my chin. Alum on the fingertips helps with the stretching. Just what works for me. We all find what works for us eventually.

To get it close I puff my cheeks out and go XTG, then open my mouth wide and use a sort of in between WTG and XTG stroke to get the area close right at the very edge of the lip. Granted I am using a straight but the principle should be the same.

We all have our problem areas. Mine was directly below my nose. I was always cutting myself trying to get those. I noticed that I was too focused on that area and I was "reaching-in" with the razor to cut there. When I did that, I was tilting the razor and, in effect, stabbing myself. I learned that the razor ALWAYS has to be flat against the skin, even on a difficult spot. (I also began to wear my glasses for that area). Try that and see if it works.

There are times too, when I can't seem to get every hair in a problem area. I found these and they work perfectly for that situation. (Some embarrassment).

http://www.amazon.com/Noxzema-Shaving-Bikini-Shaver/dp/B001EJIMRO

I get mine at Walmart and they have green handles. Under $1 each. They are disposables, open comb, with about a 3/4ths-inch head. Being so small and open-comb, you can put the blade precisely on any spot. I have yet to be able to cut myself or even produce a weeper.

Don't get me wrong.... I find that using these often is not "sporting" for a dedicated wet-shaver and most certainly NOT masculine. But there are still some times when I just can't get a spot and my face is telling it it can't take much more trying.

Yes, it's cheating so I suggest that you close the bathroom door. One of us may be watching! :001_rolle

Ah yes, the very corners of the mouth - one of my tricky areas too. I stretch my mouth out a bit with my tongue, as others do, and I shave very gently in a direction horizontally away from each end of my mouth. Also, whatever main razor I'm using, I've started using a very mild one for my ATG/polishing up pass - something like a Wilkinson Sword Classic or one of the Gillette Techs. I find with a razor like that I can gently buff at those little areas with almost no risk of nicks or burn.

I just blow out my cheeks and mustache area. I don't know if you're using a DE or str8 or cart...? People's lips and cheeks are different, then add in the fact that we're all using something different to shave with. Even between DEs shaves are different so it's really hard to decifer what may be your actual problem. You could try pinching your lip with your fingers like some barbers do, frown your lips, there's a myriad of things that you can do. Just practice and don't get frustrated.

Try not to cheat either....if you're using a DE then Mach 3-ing a tough spot, it's hard self control but the only way to learn to use a razor is to well...use a razor!!!!

I was considering using a Mach 3 along with my DE for the corners of the mouth, so thanks a lot for the preemptive measure, sir. :mad1:

I will just have to be patient and follow the advice here. Thank you.:001_smile

For this area I've found that very light blade buffing works for me. When I say light I mean very very light. So light you can hardly feel it. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom