What's new

Trader Joe's shave cream

Hi, Newbie here. Just wanted to let others know about a few products that Trader Joe's carries. They have this shave cream which is a private label. It is a Honey/Mango brushless cream that i use on those days when i'm a little rushed. It has a very pleasing aroma, very slick and lubricates well. Aloe and Vit. E enriched. It retails for $3.99 for 8 oz. and is a real bargain. I've tried to whip it up with a brush but it didn't work very well. If any of you are in to body soaps they also sell some triple milled soaps from France, also private label. These are the 200G bars that come in Lavender, Lemon, Green Tea and Rose Petal. I think they are $2.99 ea.? These bars last a while. I only mentioned the soaps because my sister lives in Paris and sent me 3 bars when she visited Provence. I have one left but the T.J's. brand is very similar only smaller in weight. The Lemon is great. Check 'em out. Thanks, Mark

they also have a line of homemade bath soaps that are very, very nice.. goat boy soaps.... you should try these also!!!

Bear Hugs!!!

Sue

There was mention of this some months back, but if you add more water it really does whip up some good lather!

-Steve

from what i understand, trader joes is about being natural.... organic, and all that crap... so, wouldnt their soaps be that way as well? and considering most of the best soaps out there have a crapload of chemicals in them to produce better lathers and whatnot, i would probably assume anything organically made is going to lack in that area.....

much like veggie burgers..... yick...

isnt glycerine a non organic substance?

Glycerin is just the backbone of a triglyceride--one glycerin backbone with three attached fatty acids--thus tri for three and glyceride for the glycerine backbone.

Compare to the fatty acids glycerin is smallish just three carbon atoms.

Gyycerin is now made from either animal or vegetable fats. It may be a byproduct from candle making and rendering animal fats of soap making when fats either animal or vegetable are mixed with lye for the purposes of saponification.

As best as I can tell glycerin is glycerin. It can be animal or plant derived and whatever it comes from obviously quite not like the original substance--the amount of water in it may vary from preparation to preparation. Completely synthetic glycerin is also able to be produced but is uneconomical.

So from a chemistry definition, glycerin is organic--in fact when we digest triglyceride that we eat--pancreatic lipase cleaves the 1 and 3 position fatty acids from the glycerin to create a 2 position monoglyceride and then nonspecific esterases cleaves that and viola glycerin which our body happily absorbs. From a tree-hugging perspective, whether commercially available glycerin is organic remains debatable.

Glycerin is just the backbone of a triglyceride--one glycerin backbone with three attached fatty acids--thus tri for three and glyceride for the glycerine backbone.

Compare to the fatty acids glycerin is smallish just three carbon atoms.

Gyycerin is now made from either animal or vegetable fats. It may be a byproduct from candle making and rendering animal fats of soap making when fats either animal or vegetable are mixed with lye for the purposes of saponification.

As best as I can tell glycerin is glycerin. It can be animal or plant derived and whatever it comes from obviously quite not like the original substance--the amount of water in it may vary from preparation to preparation. Completely synthetic glycerin is also able to be produced but is uneconomical.

So from a chemistry definition, glycerin is organic--in fact when we digest triglyceride that we eat--pancreatic lipase cleaves the 1 and 3 position fatty acids from the glycerin to create a 2 position monoglyceride and then nonspecific esterases cleaves that and viola glycerin which our body happily absorbs. From a tree-hugging perspective, whether commercially available glycerin is organic remains debatable.

Yeah. What he said!:lol:

I have tried on of Trader Joes shaving cream Mango peach ?? something I do not remember now.. but it did not make any lather at all with a brush. I was quite disappointed.

I just picked up the Mango shave cream but haven't tried it yet. I will report my findings... I also picked up a bar of the Lavender soap for my wife... I'd also highly reccomend their brand of Honey/Oatmeal and Tea Tree soaps. I think they're around $1.50 for two big bars.

I love that store.

-Mason

I was able to whip up a substantial amount of lather on a quarter-sized bit of the cream. Took a little while, but not insanely long. I didn't shave with it yet. The lather was a little on the thin side compared to Clubman cream, but it did feel nice and slick between my fingers. I look forward to giving it a try tomorrow. I think it will work most excellently in combination with the Van Der Hagen soap.. we'll see.

-Mason

My experience with the Mango shave cream so far is that using less water than usual gives better results. Otherwise, it gets a little runny. Remember that this is not designed to be lathered, just rubbed onto the face.

some people say that the trader joes is the same stuff put out by Alba that you could get at wild oats and other stores.... i've tried lathering it and it definately doesn't lather. my guess is that the Alba and the Trader Joe's are two different products.

Top Bottom