What's new

Improving...Slowly

So my first two shaves were pretty lackluster, and I've documented them in this forum earlier. Dealing with a DE razor really takes some extra concentration that using a cartridge razor did not demand from me previously. I've begun to really concentrate on the shaving angles/length of each singular shave, and it's helped greatly from my first DE shave, which was pretty downright terrible. I still find myself clinging onto bad habits that I "learned" in my cartridge shaving past, which have taken a lot of mindful effort to overcome. The primary difficulty is attempting to correct what seems like an innate, lacking skill; however, learning the new technique of lather production is the second half to this new challenge. Suddenly I'm taxed with using a badger-hair brush, which is another new concept, but by which I have no previous experience attempting to preform. Like my first post, I remain optimistic, but it almost seems as if learning more of the proper technique almost reveals much more room for improvement at said technique, which presently seems daunting, but not insurmountable.

Since shaving is an Art Form, it is ever evolving. Guess that's what makes this little "hobby" so much fun. I haven't cut myself in months but, last night I shaved in a hurry and had three nics and a couple of weepers. Old cartridge shaving habits tend to fade but never leave.

Something that struck me as I did DE shave #2 this morning was how absentmindedly one shaves with a cartridge, and how many bad habits (in terms of practicing them with a DE razor) you get into. I passed a second time over one spot this morning sort of blindly, and realized how easy it would be if one wasn't paying attention to get a really bad case of razor burn, even if he didn't cut himself, by just shaving away as one does with a cartridge. It really does take thought and care - and that's part of why I've loved it (ok, it's only been two... but still, the slowing down of the whole process is great)

T

Something that struck me as I did DE shave #2 this morning was how absentmindedly one shaves with a cartridge, and how many bad habits (in terms of practicing them with a DE razor) you get into. I passed a second time over one spot this morning sort of blindly, and realized how easy it would be if one wasn't paying attention to get a really bad case of razor burn, even if he didn't cut himself, by just shaving away as one does with a cartridge. It really does take thought and care - and that's part of why I've loved it (ok, it's only been two... but still, the slowing down of the whole process is great)

T

Good point. Blade angle and no pressure have little meaning when shaving with carts. That's why when a shaver tries DE or SE shaving after a cart it can be daunting.

If you find that it is a little too much all at once, there is no shame at all in learning with your brush and soap/cream whilst still shaving with a cartridge. There is not much point in trying to learn to shave with a DE unless you have time to relax and go through the process- once you have lather-making under your belt (or on the weekend when you might have some extra time) you can try for the whole experience. Getting a good shave is simply a matter of doing a few relatively basic tasks reasonably well- you will get there in to time!

it almost seems as if learning more of the proper technique almost reveals much more room for improvement at said technique, which presently seems daunting, but not insurmountable.

Therein lies the challenge. Do practice lathering in-between shaves, to build that skill. Once you get into the 'zen' of shaving, you will enjoy the process and not feel overwhelmed with what you don't know. The good part of your statement above is that shaving will always require concentration (as noted above!), and that kind of concentration is rewarding. Glad you see it as surmountable! In a month or two, you'll be surprised how much you will have learned. And a month or two are nothing compared to the years we will shave!

Top Bottom