What's new

Negative encounters wearing cologne

Ive only had one "negative comment" I was wearing Mama Bears Sandlawood Vanilla, I guess I applied too much and a girl at work( I work retail) said I smelled like Venice Beach ( which if anyone lives in CA knows that is NOT a good thing) I dont know where she got that but, needless to say I dint wear that one very much after haha

What's stinky about Venice Beach, unless she was referring to the area around that outdoor gym?

Ive only had one "negative comment" I was wearing Mama Bears Sandlawood Vanilla, I guess I applied too much and a girl at work( I work retail) said I smelled like Venice Beach ( which if anyone lives in CA knows that is NOT a good thing) I dont know where she got that but, needless to say I dint wear that one very much after haha

Other than the teenagers in elevator incident, I rarely get comments about my cologne. It makes me wonder if I'm not wearing enough. At work I wear a tie and dress shirt (with an undershirt below that). Maybe it's all trapped in my chest under the clothes?

You put teenagers in charge of anything and you'll be seeing more of this. Enough said.

proxy.php

WTH is a Justin Bieber?

As with others, my wife's is really the only opinion I care about. That being said, she will occasionally give a strong negative response to one I like and I will covertly try again later in an attempt to elicit a different response. I'm batting about .500 in this regard.

For work or other social situations, I think about being personally assaulted by other's scents, at times, and try te be conscious of that when thinking about doses. I'm fortunate in that most of the scents I like live in the 'generally inoffensive' category.

I had an alergic reaction to some homemade cologne made with citrus essential oils, its been almost two weeks and im still not back to normal. Affected my lungs in a very strange way, gave me shortness of breath, but unlike a asthma attack, this has been lasting for some time. Taking prednisone and corticosteriod inhalers now, can breathe ok, but the shortness comes back easily by stuff that never triggered it before like exercise, coffee, anthing with citrus oils, and other colognes/as that never gave me reaction before. I think my immune system has gone haywire and its gonna be awhile before I can wear cologne again. Its been something I have never experienced before, other than by being sick with something.

What were the circumstances and what frag were you wearing?

I'm not talking about your signif other saying "I dont like that one". Im talking about coworkers or complete strangers disapproving of your cologne.

I was in an elevator once with a few teenage kids, wearing Jardin En Mediterranean by Hermes and some kid started fake coughing hard when I got off like he was disgusted by the scent or whatever. I laughed it off.

should have got your folder and started fanning the cologne in the kids direction saying man it's hot in here.

people should have more respect for other peoples air space. kids/teenagers tend to tell you how it is unlike adults. they might not say it in a way you like but they are pretty upfront about their opinions.

I had an alergic reaction to some homemade cologne made with citrus essential oils, its been almost two weeks and im still not back to normal. Affected my lungs in a very strange way, gave me shortness of breath, but unlike a asthma attack, this has been lasting for some time. Taking prednisone and corticosteriod inhalers now, can breathe ok, but the shortness comes back easily by stuff that never triggered it before like exercise, coffee, anthing with citrus oils, and other colognes/as that never gave me reaction before. I think my immune system has gone haywire and its gonna be awhile before I can wear cologne again. Its been something I have never experienced before, other than by being sick with something.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about this -- hope you're back to normal soon!

I am allergic to JOOP. I suffered through 2 or 3 years of nausea in the mornings thinking it was the weightlifting I just completed. Come to find out, it was one of my teammates who use that cologne. Years later an older farmer I knew would wear it when he went out. I had to make sure to stay several seats away from him or the headaches and nausea would start in...

Strangely enough, I used to think I was getting the same nausea and headaches from Joop. Then I discovered it was the person wearing it...

The young people have moved on from grunge and they seem to be gravitating toward the "hipster" look right now. From what I can tell,this is sort of a movement to a 50s-early 60s type thing, so it's possible their tastes could improve in frags. Of course styles are so ecclectic today it's hard to put your finger on one trend. I'm sure I've missed a few.

I don't think we've seen the end of powerhouse frags. These things go in cycles, even with the IIRC or whatever it is. The quality just won't be the same but we'll have powerhouses again in common circulation.

Anyway, among some of the former grungers there is still the lingering feeling that BO is a good thing, at the most they may try to tame it with an aquatic of some kind. If not that, it's also trendy to claim you're allergic to something. This too shall pass.

I think we've all been abusers of something. Many years ago I was a great abuser of Polo Green. Fortunately, I only abused fellow lounge lizards with it. :lol: I can't stand the smell of it now. I still do like Aramis though.

Edit: I don't mean to say that all allergies are fake.

Last edited:
:thumbdown.

I wear what I want when I want to wear it. I am not out to impress anyone; it is about enjoying what I wear. If someone likes it, great. If someone doesn't, I could care less. I firmly believe one should do exactly as one pleases.

professorchaos, do you apply the same personal standard to which items of clothing you wear on a daily basis ... say you're in an "all-green" mood one day. does that mean you break out the all-green sweatsuit, and what people think of your appearance is their problem?

You're right. I can't imagine where the world would be without Justin Bieber, or New Kids on the Block.

You present a false dichotomy in which our only choices are the preferences of teenagers or the elderly; you ignore everyone in between, the people who actually drive the direction of the world.

Unfiltered reaction? A teenager's entire existance is predicated upon peer approval, thus all of their preferences, on matters of music, movies, food, fashion, etc..., will remain central to the group. By in large, many adults operate in the same fashion, however, you will find a greater percentage that will venture from what the group considers the norm.

If you're looking for a truly unfiltered opinion, talk to a 5 year old; everyone else will lie to you.

One could extend just as easily the argument that twenty-somethings or thirty-somethings are incapable of having meaningful opinions. From there, it's a slippery slope. I never said teenagers were the sole weights in this dichotomy, I said that your thinking would neuter an entire pantheon of popular cultural output entirely. What's wrong with Justin Bieber or New Kids on the Block? They may not be high art, but they've brought joy to many teenagers and even pre-teens. Let's not get too cynical here.

Top Bottom