What's new

Negative encounters wearing cologne

What were the circumstances and what frag were you wearing?

I'm not talking about your signif other saying "I dont like that one". Im talking about coworkers or complete strangers disapproving of your cologne.

I was in an elevator once with a few teenage kids, wearing Jardin En Mediterranean by Hermes and some kid started fake coughing hard when I got off like he was disgusted by the scent or whatever. I laughed it off.

I was in an elevator once with a few teenage kids, wearing Jardin En Mediterranean by Hermes and some kid started fake coughing hard when I got off like he was disgusted by the scent or whatever. I laughed it off.

The opinion of teenagers on any matter, whatsoever, should be discarded.

Such thinking would neuter an entire pantheon of popular cultural output entirely, rendering our humanism as little more than an afterthought of the elderly.

The opinion of a teenager should never be discarded - it should be considered an unfiltered reaction to the things everyone else pretends to like or dislike.

I'd think about losing the Hermes. I'm not saying you should - just that you should think about it.

Wearing many different scents, I have come to the conclusion my boss hates oak moss. Anything I wear with prominent oak moss garners a comment laced with covert hostility.

Last time I wore Aventus he came in my office and said "What's that scent your wearing and wearing and wearing..." There was then some sort of comment about which CVS I bought it in.

Oak moss must conjur some cheap fragrance from his past, or maybe he's allergic...

Last edited:
Haha damn teenagers..... The last time I can remember a negative encounter was as a teenager actually. I was a definitely a user and abuser of powerhouse 80s frags. I would wear them to church and inevitably overspray. There was a woman that attended the church where I grew up that would always comment negatively on my colognes. At some point she asked me to quit wearing them all together which pissed me off, so I intentionally wore more...

Then she started wearing a gas mask to church and sitting in the lobby and never join the congregation. I assume she had some sort of allergic reaction to ingredients in scents.

I'm sure I would be much more apt to oblige as an adult, but I recall her being quite rude about the whole thing, so as a teenager it was my mission to **** her off even more!

That reaction was probably just because the teenagers were bored. When I was a lad I'd act similarly towards friends, but not to a stranger. Amongst teenagers today, there seems to be a culture where exaggerated public displays are en vogue.

I'd disregard it. Don't stop wearing a cologne you like unless those you respect advise you that it's unpleasant.

I have never had this happen except with the wife or brother. Most of the time if I like it they like it.

I can only remember one time when a lady in an elevator got off commenting about "too much cologne". I'm pretty sure it was me, and I'm pretty sure she was right. I try to be more careful in application these days.

Funny discussion through the thread about teenagers. When I was a teenager, I could be very polite, considerate and thoughtful of others at times, and other times I could be very rude and obnoxious, and quickly rise to any perceived challenge. Hmmm, maybe that hasn't changed all that much......:001_rolle

I agree that we should not disregard the feelings of teenagers. Yes, they may be obnoxious, but they're giving you a "modern" opinion on how you smell. The same goes for women. Always, and I mean always, consider the input of women! The number one mistake made by men is to choose scents that they like, as if they're trying to attract the attention of other men.

Some of the scents recommended here make me wonder if the people wearing them actually live around people.

Let me put it this way, if I was your boss, and you wore Lilac Vegetal to work, I'd find a reason to fire you.

I agree that we should not disregard the feelings of teenagers. Yes, they may be obnoxious, but they're giving you a "modern" opinion on how you smell. The same goes for women. Always, and I mean always, consider the input of women! The number one mistake made by men is to choose scents that they like, as if they're trying to attract the attention of other men.

Some of the scents recommended here make me wonder if the people wearing them actually live around people.

Let me put it this way, if I was your boss, and you wore Lilac Vegetal to work, I'd find a reason to fire you.

:thumbdown

there was the time that I pulled up by my mailbox and got out of the car to check the mail. A lady getting her mail at the same time told me that my car smelled like cinnamon. I didn't tell her that it was the Bay Rum aftershave!

children, teenages do have sensitive noses and smells.

there are some fragrances that make me cough also, some have a bug spray element to them i just can't stand. this element seems to make fragrances project and seem strong, it's something synthetic that makes em overpower even the actual scentof the fragrance. fakes tend to have this element in them.

I am allergic to JOOP. I suffered through 2 or 3 years of nausea in the mornings thinking it was the weightlifting I just completed. Come to find out, it was one of my teammates who use that cologne. Years later an older farmer I knew would wear it when he went out. I had to make sure to stay several seats away from him or the headaches and nausea would start in...

:thumbdown.

I wear what I want when I want to wear it. I am not out to impress anyone; it is about enjoying what I wear. If someone likes it, great. If someone doesn't, I could care less. I firmly believe one should do exactly as one pleases.

... while he was fake coughing, more than likely his buddies were thinking you smelled great, but of course, they would never admit that to each other! Ahhh, the stupid teenage years we all go through...

Last edited:
Amen brother!

... while he was fake coughing, more than likely his buddies were thinking you smelled great, but of course, they would never admit that to each other! Ahhh, the stupid teenage years we all go through...

If nothing else, when one's cologne opinions are informed by, and based on, the "double-pits-chesty" of AXE, then said opinions must be disregarded.

If nothing else, when one's cologne opinions are informed by, and based on, the "double-pits-chesty" of AXE, then said opinions must be disregarded.

Particularly when those opinions are held by youths whose taste in music runs from Justin Bebier to Katy Perry. I can't think of a group whose opinion matters less to me.

Top Bottom