What's new

winter coat recommendations needed

I have an REI coat from about 12 years back that I wore when I lived in MN, and only had to zip more than half way on the coldest days. I do agree that layering is important, but the difficulty with long underwear and such is that most places are 70 inside, so it is easy to overdo it.

I have an REI coat from about 12 years back that I wore when I lived in MN, and only had to zip more than half way on the coldest days. I do agree that layering is important, but the difficulty with long underwear and such is that most places are 70 inside, so it is easy to overdo it.

You are very right, sir. I never use long johns during any temperatures in this country (down to -30 c) if I'm not planning on staying outside for at least 20 minutes.

I honestly think most modern, reasonably priced jackets (not being overpriced because of brand, or an underpriced el cheapo product) are all perfectly fine for their own purpose.

One famous, modern Norwegian outdoorsman walked across northern Canada in 2 years and 7 months. He had to cut out the lining out of his down parka because he had sweated through the lining, and all the down froze. Had he not been sweating so much, I'm sure it would've worked great, though.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Helly Hansen;
http://www.hellyhansen.com/

Everything from underwear to outerwear. Found everywear from the North Sea oil rigs to the slopes of Aspen.

I love H/H. It comes from my country, and I have many H/H products. Fact is though, H/H is seriously over-priced. Their hiking clothes are just not worth it to me, and their hellytech membrane is downright useless compared to Gore-Tex. What's good about their stuff is the technical base layers (but again, very expensive), and some of their shoes. They also offer nice bags and accessories, but I never buy them from H/H brand stores. They often have double the price of other retailers. I don't know how many US retailers that buy H/H in bulk, though. My toilet bag is from H/H though, maybe I'll post a picture.

Sorry.

EDIT
You won't hear me complaining about their maritime collections and professional clothing, but that market is pretty far from normal consumers (except sailors, of course).

I have a nice Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero down jacket. Warmest jacket ive ever had...works great for the Wisconsin winters.

Also wont break the bank: $125 bucks at REI http://www.rei.com/product/817042/mountain-hardwear-sub-zero-down-jacket-mens-2010-closeout?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-817042&mr:trackingCode=8AA8D799-58C0-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

I love Arcteryx (have 3 of their jackets) but its hard to justify paying that much for a coat unless it at least has Goretex. NorthFace is ok I like their stuff too but Ive found that Mountain Hardwear has just as good quality for less money.

I have a nice Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero down jacket. Warmest jacket ive ever had...works great for the Wisconsin winters.

Also wont break the bank: $125 bucks at REI http://www.rei.com/product/817042/mountain-hardwear-sub-zero-down-jacket-mens-2010-closeout?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-817042&mr:trackingCode=8AA8D799-58C0-E011-9A77-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

I love Arcteryx (have 3 of their jackets) but its hard to justify paying that much for a coat unless it at least has Goretex. NorthFace is ok I like their stuff too but Ive found that Mountain Hardwear has just as good quality for less money.

Good choice, very solid brand. I think one of their outer layer jackets won a big test here last year or something. Get your wife or girlfriend a black outer layer jacket if you're out of gift ideas. She'll be more open to go on hikes with a nice jacket, and she can use it on a girls night out on the town. My friend bought one for herself, it's incredibly stylish.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'f I'm going to buy overpriced baselayers, I'll go for Ibex merino wool. :thumbup1:

You are very right, sir. I never use long johns during any temperatures in this country (down to -30 c) if I'm not planning on staying outside for at least 20 minutes.

Yeah, you need to dress for your intended conditions. You can survive quite nicely wearing not all that much if you are spending most of your time indoors and only briefly walking from heated building to heated building (and heated car &c.)

You also need to dress for your intended activity level ... going snowshoeing you need a lot less clothing than just standing around ... with layers available to add or remove if your activity level changes.

I'f I'm going to buy overpriced baselayers, I'll go for Ibex merino wool. :thumbup1:

Yeah, you need to dress for your intended conditions. You can survive quite nicely wearing not all that much if you are spending most of your time indoors and only briefly walking from heated building to heated building (and heated car &c.)

You also need to dress for your intended activity level ... going snowshoeing you need a lot less clothing than just standing around ... with layers available to add or remove if your activity level changes.

I went snowshoeing with my Atlas 12 35"s couple of years ago. Spent three hours going 550 yards through rotten and wet snow. God help me that was hard. An awful start to what was supposed to be a three-day hike. I gave up and took a taxi home..

If you're going out for an activity like hiking/cross country skiing or snowshoeing in very cold weather, I suggest wearing a mesh baselayer and wool (max 400 g sq./m) plus outer layer. It's going to get warm and sweaty no matter what you do, but with mesh base layers, you cool off easily too. Wool is simply essential for activities like that in cold weather, less you want to start shivering when the sweat starts freeze.

EDIT
And for God's sake, put some more clothes on when you're finished if you're doing this in -20 to 30 below.

Last edited:
One famous, modern Norwegian outdoorsman walked across northern Canada in 2 years and 7 months. He had to cut out the lining out of his down parka because he had sweated through the lining, and all the down froze. Had he not been sweating so much, I'm sure it would've worked great, though.

When I winter backpack, I pack up my down jacket and walk/snowshoe in a long sleeve wool baselayer and a wool hat. The down jacket is just for when I'm not moving.

Wool is simply essential for activities like that in cold weather, less you want to start shivering when the sweat starts freeze.

Yup.

This thread is of interest to me because I am a technical trainer, and I sometimes find myself standing outside lecturing or supervising exercises in the freezing cold. I've been wearing a The North Face down jacket, but I'm tired of being chilly. I think I'm going to upgrade to something more serious. I am also a cold person by nature and very uncomfortable in cooler temperatures.

My three winter coats: Filson single mackinaw cruiser (65% of the time worn), Filson double mackinaw cruiser (20% use), Schott 32oz pea coat (remaining 15% use). I'd wear the single mac all the time, but it's too cold here. The double mac is warmer but wind can still get into it. I'm just really anti 'techy' stuff so I don't own any nylon, polyester, goretex, etc...

I like the Filson coats but the peacoat is more dressy. Those are my three out on the town coats. When I'm working in the garage I'm wearing coveralls, a dickies mechanic jacket, or a blaze orange deer hunting coat if it's REALLY cold out like it has been.

Eddie Bauer 1936 Skyliner Original - $150 .... The warmest, lightest jacket I own. I wore it to work today (-24ºF windchill)
Carhartt Arctic Parka - $130 ... The warmest, most rugged jacket I own. My go to winter parka for extreme cold work outside.

EDIT: Regarding Canada Goose jackets... Friends of mine have lived up in Nunavut for the past 7 years. They were home Christmas 2013 and had me test out their Canada Goose parka.... It was hands down the best quality/warmest jacket I've ever put on. That said, I'm not entirely sure it's fair for me to recommend one, not being an owner. There is something to be said about a jacket being recommended by folks who endure -58ºF windchill temperatures though!

Last edited:
I recommend a nice wool Filson. Will last for years, look good and keep you warm.

-G

I agree about warmth and looks for "real Filson." The prices and Chinese quality of the new stuff leave me wondering where the company is going to be in another 10 years. I tried on a Mackinaw about three weeks ago, and I could have sworn it was a paper coat tailored by left-thumbed idgitis. Complete and utter garbage. And this if from a 30 year Filson customer.

My filson single mac is from the 1950s. It's a bright solid red color. I got it on ebay for $95.00 and I love it. My double mac is the forest green color and probably from the 80s. I got it on ebay for $150.00 and it is in like-new condition. It's great, but being double thick you feel a bit like Randy on A Christmas Story. I only wear it when the weather demands it.

proxy.php

You have to compare the different colors of Filson jackets because the brown wool isn't as thick as the green.. Or at least wasn't at the last store I saw the jackets in. The older stuff from the 50s and 60s is actually thinner than some of the newer stuff from the 80s and 90s. But it all looks pretty classy and timeless. A field jacket won't really ever go out of style (or into?)

I like the way the pockets are both hand warmer as well as bellow pockets. It's just a good, simple design. No liner, 100% wool.

The wind can blow through them so your modern day Columbia and North Face jackets are warmer for less money if you don't mind the synthetic fabrics and the underpaid workers of where ever making the item.

Well, Filson wool coats are the Rolls Royce of winter coats.

In 2002 I ordered a Woolrich Arctic Parka. I purchased it from one of their outlet stores by simply calling them, asking for a price and delivery. It was the last year they made them in Woolrich, PA. It is a fantastic coat. I can't wear it unless it's below 32 degrees with some wind. Since then they outsourced it all to Pakistan or somewhere else in Asia. Not to mention that Woolrich has closed all their outlet stores. And it's a shame because I loved going to their outlet stores for some really great deals.

If $$$ is no object, get Filson. Otherwise shop around. Cabelas has some good stuff along with LL Bean. There's alot of good stuff out there.

Top Bottom