What's new

Why do my attempts at using an open comb result in blood loss?

i find certain blades dont work well in my old type,ive got a fat handle tech that will take your face off if you dont use a thin blade in it,i would try a thinner blade and check to make sure the blade is seating correctly.given this doesnt work you could try a different oc?

I have a Gillette open comb razor (either Old Type or Single Ring... I really don't see the difference). This thing will be the death of me if I keep trying to use it. Twice now, I've carefully attempted it with a mild blade, and I've wound up "donating blood" every time.

]Can some people just not use open comb razors?

Hi there,

You are exactly right about some people not being able to use certain open comb types. Most times though there's usually no problem. What you don't realize is how much of a bite that razor of yours has compared to most other OC razors. Those Old Type heads are nasty little things as far as fitting me right (waaay too aggressive). I can use em without any facial red marks, but they're so damn uncomfortable on my face.

You maybe wanna try a milder OC like one with a New or New Improved head on the thing. You'll find those types more forgiving and also more comfortable. Heh, at least that's how things work for me.

Martin

Oh yeah, I'd have to respectfully disagree with the people who say that you can always get a great shave from about any razor if you change technique or blade or something. Never found that to be the case......some razors are just not a good fit.

Last edited:
When you say "twice", you mean you've only used the razor two times total? If so, that's not nearly enough to get the hang of it. It took me a month or so to get used to my first Old Type, but I already had some experience with another OC. Eventually, the Old Type became my favorite DE open-comb razor. So ... give yourself some time, take breaks from the razor, then go back to it. Eventually something "clicks" (or not -- but that's OK, too).

is it a long tooth comb or short? If it is a long comb you will have to set the angle a little higher. I have found these razors to be pretty stiff on the punishment if you fail to get the pressure and angle right. I also found that two passes with the grain was almost a must no matter what. Also use short strokes.

The "New" type (double ringed) open combed Gillettes are actually very aggressive shavers. Check the gap between the blade and the top of the comb. The larger the gap, the more aggressive the razor.

I had the chance to try out my 1930's NEW yesterday. Holy crap that thing is a viscous little thing. While I didn't draw blood and the shave itself was uneventful, it felt like a rabid wolverine was mauling my face afterwards. I know it's all about angle & technique but jeez...

maybe you might like a milder OC like the Merkur 11C (HD OC). too me it shaved like a SS only with an OC head..very forgiving even with a Feather.

Last edited:
It took me a while to get a good shave with my Micromatic OC razor. In the end I had to adjust the angle and make it less steep.

I'll likely stick to the other razors in my collection like my DE89, Gillette SA, and my Tech. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'll probably just post the NEW on BST & call it a day. Open comb just isn't my taste.

Top Bottom