What's new

Tweezerman: when a bargain isn't really a bargain

Ordered a Tweezerman; my first badger brush and it arrived yesterday afternoon.

I just opened it a few minutes ago and went to work up some nice P.160 lather in my scuttle. About one minute into mixing, the knot fell out of the wooden handle! What a cheaply made piece of trash. I know it's a $25.00 entry level brush, but it shouldn't have fallen apart upon first use. :angry:

I'm glad I bought an Omega 48 as my first brush... perhaps the shave gods are telling me to stick with boar bristles. :blink:

Haha ouch! Now spend another $25 on a TGN Finest (extra hair) knot, and experience what badgers can do! :001_smile

You must have just had a defective item. My first brush was a Tweezerman and I got nothing but solid use out of it. If you look at the reviews, others have also had good experiences.

You spent $25 on a tweezerman?! Arent they like $12 shipped on amazon?

Anyways, no big deal...just drop a bit of glue, superglue, epoxy into the handle and pop the knot back in. Problem solved.

I ordered the Tweezerman brush from my barber's catalog. I'm sure he gets a commission, but I prefer to support local businesses whenever possible - versus spending my money with a distant, faceless entity.

Decided to apply some Gorilla Glue around the knot and set it back in the handle. I don't know what part of the badger that Tweezerman uses to harvest their hair from, but it reeks like a wet goat. After the glue cures, it's time for a soak in borax... P-U!

Anyway, I've learned a lesson. When it comes to badger brushes, it appears that you pay for what you get. I won't go the cheap and cheerful route again.

(And thanks for the tip, Blix. It appears that the build-your-own-brush route is well worth pursuing :thumbup1: )

I ordered the Tweezerman brush from my barber's catalog. I'm sure he gets a commission, but I prefer to support local businesses whenever possible - versus spending my money with a distant, faceless entity.

Decided to apply some Gorilla Glue around the knot and set it back in the handle. I don't know what part of the badger that Tweezerman uses to harvest their hair from, but it reeks like a wet goat. After the glue cures, it's time for a soak in borax... P-U!

Anyway, I've learned a lesson. When it comes to badger brushes, it appears that you pay for what you get. I won't go the cheap and cheerful route again.

(And thanks for the tip, Blix. It appears that the build-your-own-brush route is well worth pursuing :thumbup1: )

Gorilla Glue will do the trick...it will still work well.

And making your own/restoring vintage stuff is fun.

I've had and used a Tweezerman for about 3 years now. The handle isn't fantastic, but the knot is great, it's well worth the money you paid for it.
Mine fell out after about 3 months, but a couple drops of superglue have kept it in perfect shape since then

I've had and used a Tweezerman for about 3 years now. The handle isn't fantastic, but the knot is great, it's well worth the money you paid for it.
Mine fell out after about 3 months, but a couple drops of superglue have kept it in perfect shape since then

Same here...gifted it to my father with a bowl a Tabac...going strong in a new den.

You must have just had a defective item. My first brush was a Tweezerman and I got nothing but solid use out of it. If you look at the reviews, others have also had good experiences.

Agree. I've been using my Tweezerman (my second brush) for years and it's still going strong.

Buy from Amazon, send your barber a $5 bill, and you still come out ahead.

If you get a good one they last a long time. Now that it's glued you shouldn't have any more problems from it.

I bought a tweezerman off amazon (along with my EJ razor, and Col. Conk stand) and I really like it. Prickly at first, but almost 3 weeks in now its very nice on my face.

I might upgrade to a better brush, but the tweezerman will be kept as a travel brush at the least. Very satisfied with it. I might make a nicer handle for it someday, I do have a wood lathe...

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Sorry you had a bad experience, but I think it was a 'lemon', not indicative of the Tweezerman or being 'cheap'. Until I got here about 3 months ago I used one Tweezerman for over 5 years. It is still in great shape.

Top Bottom