What's new

Blade storage

Does anyone know if blades deteriorate stored in the bathroom?

I have about a hundred Derbys lying around (wrapped in plastic except the packet I use for the moment) and would prefer to put them in my little bathroom but have heard the moisture will cause them to get dull.

I shave 4 times per blade, so a hundred lasts me a bit more than a year.

Yikes! Maybe all my feathers are at risk! I do have a stash, but have not noticed them deteriorate over a few years being stored in my medicine cabinet.

If they're stainless steel don't worry about them in the bathroom, if they are carbon steel moisture will degrade them. Derbys are SS aren't they?

There aren't many cs blades today. Feathers are SS I believe.

Yes, they are SS, but still show signs of rust after my 4 shaves.

Anyway - it sounds as if it`s okay to store them in the bathroom so I`ll get right onto that :)

I don't know it it is too conservative, but I keep my blade stash in zip-loc bags, in a box, wrapped in plastic trash bag, in closet (no where near bathroom)

I have several hundred blades that are stored in my bathroom and have been there for over one year. No problems, rust, etc. And I live in hot, humid Florida.

If they're unopened, it'd be near impossible for a teflon-coated SS blade to rust through both the cellophane and the wax paper they're wrapped in. Putting them in a plastic bag with silica gel is one step away from wearing a tin foil hat (IMO).

The blade that was in my grandfathers razor when I got it was rusted how old it was I have no clue because my uncle gave me the razor to use and I don't know if he was using it or if it had been that way since my grandfather passed away. I know it was a Gillette platinum blade, per the stamp on the blade. My cartridge razor blades would rust in about a weeks time of the first couple uses I used them one cart. a week since they were so expensive.

I've got most of my blades in a cabinet in the bathroom, but have not noticed deterioration after over a year.

I went to the local 'smoke shop' and got a couple cigar boxes... I have about 3,000 +- blades that I place in there and add a couple silica gel packets... they have sat in my bathroom linen closet for a long time without issue.

If they're unopened, it'd be near impossible for a teflon-coated SS blade to rust through both the cellophane and the wax paper they're wrapped in. Putting them in a plastic bag with silica gel is one step away from wearing a tin foil hat (IMO).

Hey if it keeps the Aliens or the Government from controlling my mind I will keep my tin foil hat. Then again I don't know why I bother, I'm so lazy it'z probably a waste of their time.

As far as blade storage, I don't do anything special and haven't had any issues for the 2 years I've have them.

Top Bottom