What's new

What is shading?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have no idea, but my kid seems to have a basic grasp of it. First up is Black Swan in Australian Roses, drawn in roughly 90 seconds in a moving car on the Garden State Parkway. The ink is a bit more on the red side than I would have liked, but it's interesting.

Next is Apache Sunset, which surprised me. I never thought I would like a yellow/orange ink, but the shading is amazing. I can't believe the different tones that can come from a single ink. Damn, I wish I knew how to draw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Shading is basically variation in color. When writing with your pen, if the ink has variation in saturations when you write, that is the shading.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think the first one was a brush pen, and the Apache was a Reform flex nib, courtesy of Jim. :thumbup1:

Ouch

Jim has a present for your daughter.... a holder and a assortment of dip nibs, can't wait to see what she does with those.

Those are really nice. Personally, I don't care for shading inks, as I like consistency in my writing, and I can't draw anything more complicated than a stickman. If I could do that, though....

That is some serious talent.
Fantastic!
I hope she knows how much we appreciate seeing the art.
Thanks for sharing. :001_smile

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Thanks for sharing Jay. Your daughter has some very obvious talent. Is art going to be a future career choice for her?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ouch, have her send those pics to Goulet, as they put artwork on their site as well.

Ouch, thank you for sharing these latest pictures with us.
Please also forward thanks to your daughter, and let her know that we all enjoy her artwork and hope to see lots more :thumbup1:

Great drawings Ouch.

So let me see if I get this right.

Wet shaving saves me money. We have coffee, tea, quality kitchen knives, the Haberdashery, the Nib and now I think I need to take some art lessons.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ouch, have her send those pics to Nathan, as they put artwork on their ink bottles as well.

ftfy.

:thumbup1:

... as much as I like the label we did on 5 O'clock shadow, I'd love to have seen Ouchette do that label. Perhaps the "next" B&B Noodler's ink?

(PS: I am unaware of any plans for a second B&B noodlers ... I'm just dreaming in bulletproof technicolour, with shading.)

the 2nd b and b ink should be CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BROWN,
because we, on the dark side, have cookies for new members.

also the four key on my laptop fell off and my hands are too big to pop it back on, hence the 'and' in b and b and spelling out four.

Top Bottom