What's new

High Dollar aftershaves really worth it?

Dr. Harris, TOBS, Geo...just to name a few. I could buy a few of these and have a nice selection of AS to choose from. Or I could buy A LOT of drugstore brands and have A LOT of stuff to choose from. Are they really THAT better? I have only tried Aqua Velva and Gillette (I forget what scent) aftershave splashes. They seem to work fine for me and at almost 1/4 the price and for MORE product! Any thoughts???

High dollar aftershaves actually worth it?

On one level, NO they are not worth it.

But if you happen to like a certain product, it's up to you. Personal care products are not all about effectiveness, even though men will "convince" themselves that it is.

This has a lot to do with wants and inner needs more than rationality.

I think some of them are. I just got my Geo F. Trumpers skin food (of the Sandalwood variety) and I think it was worth higher dollar price tag. Feels good, smells good, works as it is supposed to. One of my few aftershaves that really helps my face if I was a bit over zealous with my razor heh.

I am one of those who match aftershaves to edts. Sometimes whether or not I can get a matching aftershave is what makes the difference as to if I even buy the edt. Only exception at the moment is D.R. Harris sandalwood aftershave which I also use as an edt in and of itself. Just me, I guess. And I guess I fall into the its "not all about effectiveness" category.

No they're not necessarily any better.

I decided to opt for samples instead of jumping in head first like I did with soaps. The DR Harris turned out to be the ones I least cared for.

If the scent is right though I'd be willing to pay a premium for it. Within reason of course.

I did enjoy the GFT skin food (Limes) when I had it. Budget constraints force me to the less expensive AS but I love them also.

I love the smells of TOBS Shaving Shop and Trumpers Spanish Leather AS, though they strictly tone and don't really moisturize. D.R. Harris Sandalwood is another lovely scent, and seems very kind to the skin to boot. My rotation is large, so these'll last for quite a while, but I can predict the urge to replenish them when they're gone.

Come on, you already know there's no answer to that question. Everyone defines value differently, and some chose to allocate their money differently. Is a Mercedes four times better than a Hyundai? They both get you to work in the same amount of time.

Furthermore, higher priced splashes have more and higher quality ingrediients, so for a lot of us they DO work better.

Some certainly are and some probably not. If you like the way they smell, or they feel better on your skin they are worth it to me. But some cheaper brands I like quite a lot also.

TOBS Luxury Lavender Water is one of my favorites. I absolutely love the scent and lasts all day. It feels good on the skin. It's not too expensive at about forty dollars. I love Pinaud Bay Rum, even larger bottle for 10-12 dollars locally. Pinaud Clubman is less than eight dollars and smells like a more refined version of Brut to me.

English Leather is inexpensive and I like scent pretty well but others almost always ask me what I am wearing when I use it. Generally women seem to like it the most.

One thing to remember is different scents smell differently on different people. What is wonderful for one person might be horrible for another. So select the ones that work well for your skin and then chose the scents you like on yourself. Doesn't hurt to take a gal along with you for advice. Try to smell too many on one trip. After three or four my sense of smell is burned up for a day or two. Anything I like after that point will smell very different for me a day or two later.

I received a Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Aftershave Balm sample some weeks ago. Really like it's smell and soothing, only downside is it's price.
24 euros (34 USD).

I am thinking about buying it for the last few days, can't decide yet. I am wondering how long the 100ml bottle will last.
Because Aftershave Balm from a local popular brand only costs a fraction of it (one 3th).

No they're not necessarily any better.

I think in many cases, they are actually worse than the drugstore classics.

In my opinion, aftershave is defined as an astringent (to prevent infection), along with a moisturizer (usually glycerin, or propylene glycol, other substances in the case of a balm), a so called aftershave that lacks a moisturizer would thus be better defined as a watered down cologne. Such an "aftershave" will have little affect on your face other than burning like crazy!!

So in a nutshell, I would check the ingredients list; if it's lacking a moisturizer do you really want to pay high dollar for something that is nothing more than alcohol, and fragrance?

But we will not have anything to write about....:laugh:

Come on, you already know there's no answer to that question. Everyone defines value differently, and some chose to allocate their money differently. Is a Mercedes four times better than a Hyundai? They both get you to work in the same amount of time.

Furthermore, higher priced splashes have more and higher quality ingrediients, so for a lot of us they DO work better.

I think that you would find that some inexpensive and some fairly expensive products receive praise. In other words, there are good and bad products at any price range. Obviously, you read more about inexpensive drugstore products because they are everywhere and they do not cost much (more people buy them).

Al raz.

I received a Edwin Jagger Sandalwood Aftershave Balm sample some weeks ago. Really like it's smell and soothing, only downside is it's price.
24 euros (34 USD).

I am thinking about buying it for the last few days, can't decide yet. I am wondering how long the 100ml bottle will last.

Depends on if you apply it (as you should) with a splash or two, or if instead you plan to bathe in it. I should think 100ml will last you six months unless you wish to be smelled 100 yards away. (YMMV of course)

Because Aftershave Balm from a local popular brand only costs a fraction of it (one 3th).

Yes, but don't neglect the better quality of the EJ balm. Also... do you prefer the more expensive scent? It's not about absolute cost or cost ratios, but what you want to be wearing, and whether the 15 eurocents per day is worth it to you. Six months down the road will you recall that you spent 24 euros?

Depends on if you apply it (as you should) with a splash or two, or if instead you plan to bathe in it. I should think 100ml will last you six months unless you wish to be smelled 100 yards away. (YMMV of course)Yes, but don't neglect the better quality of the EJ balm. Also... do you prefer the more expensive scent? It's not about absolute cost or cost ratios, but what you want to be wearing, and whether the 15 eurocents per day is worth it to you. Six months down the road will you recall that you spent 24 euros?
I just bought a cheaper local brand balm. Scent is ok, but not nearly as good as Edwin Jagger. Also the soothing seems to be less (or that's just because I know it's not Edwin Jagger).
It's also 100ml so I can use this to see how long it lasts and then decide to buy Edwin Jagger next time.
I use the balm as I should, just a little dot...

Do a little experiment for yourself. Get a bottle of expensive AS (any brand) and a bottle of Aqua Velva. You'll have your answer after the first time you try both in terms performance. I'm generally speaking but for the most part, people have to justify for themselves and others why they spent $30+ on an AS when they could've spent about $3 and get the same if not a better performer.

Dr. Harris, TOBS, Geo...just to name a few. I could buy a few of these and have a nice selection of AS to choose from. Or I could buy A LOT of drugstore brands and have A LOT of stuff to choose from. Are they really THAT better? I have only tried Aqua Velva and Gillette (I forget what scent) aftershave splashes. They seem to work fine for me and at almost 1/4 the price and for MORE product! Any thoughts???
Worth is always subjective, regardless of topic (as are: better, best, worst, worse, cheap, expensive, good, bad, effective, ineffective, pointless, etc etc -- the list is endless). The only way to answer that for yourself is to try them and see. I really like DRH. I'd prefer to have fewer quality products in general versus a broad selection or more quantity. YMMV, as always.

Also, don't assume that all products in a given price bracket are identical. Price is just price.

Last edited:
Do a little experiment for yourself. Get a bottle of expensive AS (any brand) and a bottle of Aqua Velva. You'll have your answer after the first time you try both in terms performance. I'm generally speaking but for the most part, people have to justify for themselves and others why they spent $30+ on an AS when they could've spent about $3 and get the same if not a better performer.

I, rather, think of it this way...

I am going to assume that because we're all here because we enjoy the quality of life nudge that can be had with a slower, more careful and thoughtful shave, we also enjoy things like good beer rather than mass market bilgewater sold in aluminum cans by multinational corporations, or a good wine that is more than just watered-down vinegar. What do you spend on a six-pack of your favorite beer, or on a bottle of good wine? If a $9 sixpack of a microbrew is something you spend money on for a weekend, then 3 weekends and you've spent what you'll spend on a daily dosage of D. R. Harris A/S that will last six months.

Why scrimp on your A/S that will give you a good return daily for months, if you're willing to spend as much money on something that is gone in far less time? (now maybe you like drinking Budweiser/Miller/Coors bilgewater and all of this is for nought, but I hope I've made a somewhat convincing point if not)

You have to look at specific products, not just generic categories.
On the cheap end Old Spice makes my skins feel healthy, Aqua Velva just makes me feel creepy and oily. At higher ends, I've tried A/S's that did nothing for me, and one (such as Speick) that were practically miraculous.

Also, keep in mind that if you have dry skin...an aftershave is going to have to be followed up by a moisturizer...which further reduces the need for a higher end product with moisturizing capabilities and scent...the scent doesn't last long with after-shaves anyways...I personally use whatever I can get locally even though I do have a fondness for FLOID and keep reloading when I run low...I don't need to, I just enjoy the added burn of Vigoroso. I do follow up with a moisturizer ...

This depends on the individual. If it's worth it to you, then it is indeed worth it; if not, then it's not. Since you have to ask, I would guess the answer for you is no.

Top Bottom