What's new

Drug Store Aftershave

Every Man Jack.

The aftershave lotion they have is good stuff for dry skin. A little goes a LONG way, and it doesn't irritate my face as Nivea sensitive sometimes can. I mostly use it around my jaw area, my neck doesnt seem to dry out much (which is good as its slowly adjusting to DE shaving).

I live in a rather small town and the wife said she had seen a Sally's, but could not remember where. She was wanting some special shampoo so called around and located it. I went with her this morning and found some regular Clubman aftershave and talc an empty spot for Jeris hair tonic, and a couple of bottles of Masters Bay Rum, one of which I bought. Not a lot of variety but better than nothing.

I think you find the Barbasol Pacific Rush at Dollar General, at least in my area.

Family Dollar carries the Ivy Club, and I am lovin' the Ivy Club Classic Splash at the moment (it's like Brut). Good luck!

I'll give a +1 to Pinaud Special Reserve and the Bay Rum. Personally I think you can't go wrong with Aqua Velva either. Ice Blue or Musk. You should see if there is a barber supply in your area, they could be selling Masters and Lucky Tiger. And a few others too.

All great answers. But for me, the creme de la creme of drugstores aftershaves are:

Mennen Skin Bracer
Clubman Special Reserve

Imho, these two can hold their own with any of the high end boys (floid, proraso, tobs, musgo, speik - okay, maybe not in healing properties, but in the overall scent/pleasing experience category)

Dang...got scooped by this fine gentleman below. He's absolutely right about Superior 70. It should be included on the creme de la creme list...it can hang with ANY bay rum.

Last edited:
Many Walgreens have Superior 70 Bay Rum (or can order it for you.) At $3 for 11 ounces it's a great buy. It's not in the shaving section, however. In the stores where I've found it, it's always been in the "Hispanic" section.

Ivy Club Spice, a nice replica of Old Spice for $1.75. I bought it at Family Dollar Store, but I've heard other stores have it as well.

I think you're going about this backwards...... if you have limited local choices, find out what your options are and then come here to check the reviews on them.
Better yet -- just try them out. The opinions of others really don't matter in the end. It's the OP's preference that matters. What is or isn't "decent" depends on who you ask. It's yet another highly subjective word.

We live in a pretty small town and I'm getting killed on shipping costs.
Are shipping costs higher there than everywhere else? The statement just seems odd to me as all of my shaving stuff is ordered online. Grouping things really helps.

Last edited:
Lookout for bargains: My local Dollar General stores had Barbasol Pacific Rush balm on clearance for $1.00 a bottle! Of course, I bought 'em out.

Also, ask your relatives ... my 81 year old mother found an old bottle of Hai Karate at my grandfathers house! Oh yeah! :ladysman:

I'm, also, in a small town ... but I bid low on eBay and lose 95%+ of the auctions ... the ones I win are at Great Prices including shipping!

Good Luck in your search!

Last edited:
I'm in a small town as well. I just check store shelves when I happen to be in a larger town. I picked up some Master Bay Rum at Sally Beauty Supply last weekend and Nivea at Wal-Mart the week before.

I can't say enough about Old Spice original. It's a great simple, clean, manly scent that never overpowers. Plus the bottle looks great on any bathroom counter, and it works well to get product splashing into your hands.

I tried Aqua Velva recently, and something weird happened: the scent got me upset/sad. Weird! It must have reminded me of a mean old man from my childhood, like a principle or something. :)

Top Bottom