What's new

Merkur Open Comb vs Gillette Old Type heads

I've recently been using a Merkur OC with good success. I find it easier on my face and also closer shaving than the Merkur solid bar razor head I started with. You might think that the OC head wouldnt shave well due to the blade basically resting on the comb, but it works well, at least for me (and obviously others). This makes me curious about possibly trying the Old Type, which I have read that the Merkur OC design copies. Aside from the blade alignment issue on the Old Type, should I expect an Old Type to perform similarly to the Merkur OC or does it perform differently head despite the design similarities? Thanks

since the gap is basically zero on these, is the difference in aggression due to blade exposure? (which I believe refers to how much of the blade edge sits above the line between the comb and head surfaces)
Thanks

I find the Old Type more aggressive then the Merkur. The only Merkur I tried was the 11c and it just didn't work for me. I found it overly mild bordering on unusable. The Old Type is by far my absolute favorite DE razor. I have two of them on Bob's Razor Works handles and could not be happier.

This is just my opinion and really means nothing. Old Types can be found rather inexpensively. Pick one up and give it a try to see if you like it.

Regards,

Dale

I think there is a little difference in curvature of the blade but for me they are pretty close in aggressiveness though they are not equal. I think that when you get nice shaves with the Merkur OC (like I do) you will have to be able to enjoy the Old Type as well (again, like I do); there is not a hugh difference between them imo but they need a slightly different angle for the best result.

Old type is nice it wasn't more aggressive then my slim on 3 setting. I have never tried a merkur, but I was in fear of a open comb, but with good technique it Gives a nice shave

thanks for the replies. Sounds like if I can use the Merkur then the Old Type should be workable. I'll pick up a user grade version and give it an audition.

I think there is a little difference in curvature of the blade but for me they are pretty close in aggressiveness though they are not equal. I think that when you get nice shaves with the Merkur OC (like I do) you will have to be able to enjoy the Old Type as well (again, like I do); there is not a hugh difference between them imo but they need a slightly different angle for the best result.
I think this says it all. You will have to make some adjustments on your angle - the Old Type requires you to hold the handle more perpendicularly to your face since the blade is curved less under the head. It may also seem a little more aggressive. But, if you enjoy the Merkur OC, odds are you will enjoy using an Old Type.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom