What's new

Need the Wisdom from Here

My Dad pulled out a watch today that he bought while he was in Viet Nam. Not actually bought in a Vietnamese store but he did two tours of Nam. He can't remember if he bought it back in the States between tours, while he might have had leave time or right after finishing the last tour. I know he got out in '68 and I was born in '71.

I'd never heard of this watch before. I took pics with my Droid but they were crappy and I'm on my IPad so I'll have to post later if necessary.

It's a Longines and it's an automatic. He said it needed a little work. The watch works fine but the stud has trouble changing the weekday and numerical date. Also says it's an "Admiral 5 Star" and has 6 diamonds. A diamond in the 12,2,4,6,8 and 10 position. Watch is in gold trim for the case and hands with a brown face.

He manually shook it to wind it and after I was there an hour it kept good time. He was going to sell it to donate the money, but had no idea of a price. I figured someone here might know about it.

Brad

Depending on the condition it will be worth up to about $1,000 maybe a bit more if in great condition. I'm assuming that since your father wore it in combat Nam that it is not in all that great a shape (meaning scratches and such on the case and glass), so that will devalue it a little. But definitely looking at >$500.

A watch that doesn't work properly is worth little to nothing unless you're talking solid gold scrap or precious stones. I wouldn't be giving any valuations without being able to see the watch or know what was wrong with it. It's a quality brand and model but condition is the key here.

Thanks guys. It does have some scratches on the crystal and the bracelet is not original. I'll have to go back over there and get better pics. I couldn't get my phone to focus on it properly.

Brad

www.timezone.com is a great forum/resource should you need to research further. Find the public forum and post the details.

Cheers

Thanks. My Mom gave me about 4-5 watches and the one that's Dad's to research. They were wanting to raise some money for this charity they're involved in. I'm into watches so I got the call. LOL! I was unfamiliar with Dad's, but I'm really don't know much about women's watches.

Brad

A watch that doesn't work properly is worth little to nothing unless you're talking solid gold scrap or precious stones. I wouldn't be giving any valuations without being able to see the watch or know what was wrong with it. It's a quality brand and model but condition is the key here.

Agreed.

Top Bottom