What's new

Shampoo bars and rinses?

So I finally decided to buy some Chagrin Valley shampoo bars and was wondering if any sort of vinegar rinse is necessary. I read that some people always did some sort of vinegar rinse after using shampoo. I'm just hoping I don't really need any of these techniques as I just wanna shampoo normally.

I just got into shampoo soaps myself a couple weeks ago. I haven't done anything else except lather and rinse and I have had no ill effects at all. Just give it a try I guess and see if you like and how your hair responds.

Howdy! Good luck with the shampoo bars, they work great for me.:thumbup: An ACV rinse is used to help remove any build up left by shampoo, any shampoo. It's also something the does not have to be used every time, it's more a personal preference. :thumbup:

I've tried a few shampoo bars (mostly from Daybeak Lavendar Farms, their rhassoul is great) and never done other than lather and rinse. While I'm sure an ACV rinse is a good thing to do, every now and again, I've never bothered.

Ken

I have been using a shampoo bar from Queen Charlotte Soaps for about two months now. Most the time I don't do the vinegar rinse, and my hair looks, and feels great. I am totally in love with shampoo bars!!

For shampoo I've used nothing but Chagrin Valley bars for the last 3-4 months an I can say even in the harsh water I have here it has made a huge difference. I found the acv rinse didn't make that much if any of a diffrence for me plus, I really can't stand the smell. Must be some childhod memory that has scarred me for life ;)

Chris

You may find that you need a vinegar rinse for the first few times, especially if you have been using store-bought shampoo or hair styling products for a while. The vinegar rinse will help get all the build up gunk from those products out of your hair.

If you have longer hair, you may find that a vinegar rinse is always needed after you use a shampoo bar. I recommend taking a cup of lukewarm chamomile tea and adding three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. You could use water instead of the chamomile tea, but chamomile is good for your scalp.

I just rinse very well when I use the Chagrin Valley bars and haven't felt the need to try the vinegar rinse. I'd just give it a shot and see if it works that way for you. I really like the shampoo bars, and with the sample sizes they have, you can try a few and see what works best.

I've been using shampoo bars for quite some time now and I've never found a vinegar rinse to be necessary. But, I wear my hair in a high & tight and don't use styling products. With that in mind, your hair will go through a period of adjustment and may not feel "quite right" for a little while or until your first haircut. If you use styling products, particularly the stronger ones, you will notice this feeling moreso. If you haven't seen the wiki page yet on shampoo bars, it may be worth a look for more detail on this.

I just ordered a few samples from Chagrin Valley Soaps. I'll let you know how it turns out though I am not sure how much help I will be. I generally have my hair "buzzed" with a number 1 guard every couple of weeks so I don't have much hair to clean heh. I will say 8 dollars for a bar sounds a lot better than the 20 dollars per bottle I pay for my shampoo and condition (yeah 42 dollars every time I buy shampoo and conditioner).

As far as rinses go, I am seriously considering trying the coffee rinse. Has anyone done this before? Can you brew multiple pots of coffee and store it in the fridge to last? I only ask cause when I buy coffee I buy local and it ends up at like 13 a pound, I know they have an espresso roast and I wouldn't mind trying it if I can brew multiple pots from one "serving" of coffee grounds and then store it. If I use espresso would it be more beneficial to brew it in an espresso machine?

Anyways sorry for hijacking the thread for more of a rinse question, but I promise I will let you know as soon as I get and try the shampoo bar samples I ordered :) .

Oh, final question, do you guys use your shampoo bars every day? I don't wash my hair every day because I was told by someone in the beauty industry that it is bad for your hair (I still have mine and my younger brother has almost none left, it is hard for me to argue with those "facts' ;) ...Mind you I am not making fun of him for it, just simply commenting)?

Shows you how up to date I am on you guys' epic hygiene regimens. Vinegar rinse? What the hell?

Anyways, using Ogallala BR shampoo bar and am happy with it, non vinegar-rinser that I am.

I just ordered a few samples from Chagrin Valley Soaps. I'll let you know how it turns out though I am not sure how much help I will be. I generally have my hair "buzzed" with a number 1 guard every couple of weeks so I don't have much hair to clean heh. I will say 8 dollars for a bar sounds a lot better than the 20 dollars per bottle I pay for my shampoo and condition (yeah 42 dollars every time I buy shampoo and conditioner).

As far as rinses go, I am seriously considering trying the coffee rinse. Has anyone done this before? Can you brew multiple pots of coffee and store it in the fridge to last? I only ask cause when I buy coffee I buy local and it ends up at like 13 a pound, I know they have an espresso roast and I wouldn't mind trying it if I can brew multiple pots from one "serving" of coffee grounds and then store it. If I use espresso would it be more beneficial to brew it in an espresso machine?

Anyways sorry for hijacking the thread for more of a rinse question, but I promise I will let you know as soon as I get and try the shampoo bar samples I ordered :) .

Oh, final question, do you guys use your shampoo bars every day? I don't wash my hair every day because I was told by someone in the beauty industry that it is bad for your hair (I still have mine and my younger brother has almost none left, it is hard for me to argue with those "facts' ;) ...Mind you I am not making fun of him for it, just simply commenting)?

I tried the coffee rinse and did not care for it at all. It did nothing for my grays (which, I'm told are resistant anyhow) and worse, my hair smelled of stale coffee for most of the day.

Shows you how up to date I am on you guys' epic hygiene regimens. Vinegar rinse? What the hell?

Anyways, using Ogallala BR shampoo bar and am happy with it, non vinegar-rinser that I am.

See the wiki page on "shampoo bars," but basically it's the same idea as using a clarifying shampoo. You may or may not need to use it depending on your water and styling product usage.

Last edited:
I have not tried the Chagrin Valley Soaps, but have been using Liggett's Tea Tree & Hemp Oil bar shampoo for a couple of years (no conditioner needed).

SPAMMER ALERT!!!!!

Dropping this address in a BUNCH of different threads

Actually, with the address obfuscation going on in that link, there might even be something more malicious going on here... I would HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT follow that link... And if you have, you might want to do a virus scan.

SPAMMER ALERT!!!!!

Dropping this address in a BUNCH of different threads

Actually, with the address obfuscation going on in that link, there might even be something more malicious going on here... I would HIGHLY recommend that you do NOT follow that link... And if you have, you might want to do a virus scan.

Thanks Brian!
Looks like the mods took care of the post.

OK, so got my soaps from Chagrin Valley. I ordered samples of the coffee one (which smells too much like cloves for me...But my father likes it so they win), the extra honey and beer and the chamomile and citrus one. All smell great, the coffee and the honey and beer ones work great (using the other one today). The difference I find in these and my regular shampoo is that the lather is thicker from the bars, and it leaves my hair more grippy if that makes sense. Like my shampoo and conditioner I was using before left my hair really slippery and really slick...Not when I run my fingers through it or run my hand from the back to the front it has some resistance. This is not a bad thing I might add. It is just a comment (not sure what causes it or if it is a problem for others).

As soon as I go through the samples (probably in six months lol big samples) I will be ordering a few more samples of scents I wanted to try and then probably making an order of the three or four that I like and want to use on a regular basis (yeah soap AD doesn't just apply to shaving soaps). I would recommend anyone who is curious take the plunge and buy a few of the 2.50 samples...I think my order with priority shipping hit maybe 13 dollars and I got it in what seemed like one day :) .

I've been using a shampoo bar for a few weeks now and really like it. Mind you, I've just noticed some flaky skin the last couple of days.

I find the vinegar rinse necessary as the shampoo leaves my hair feeling really sticky/rubbery/don't know how to describe it. I pump a splash of vinegar into my cupped hand, cup both hands under the shower to dilute, then in it goes.

Maybe after a haircut this won't be so necessary.

The bar I use contains beer and honey...good times!

I just bought a bar from TIGI called "Rockaholic All Access." It's Hulk green! I have not had any problems that seem to require special rinses.
However, I haven't noticed any difference from using any ordinary liquid shampoo either... So that may be a problem... I switched from Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Does it take a few weeks, or until after my first hair cut to notice?

I just bought a bar from TIGI called "Rockaholic All Access." It's Hulk green! I have not had any problems that seem to require special rinses.
However, I haven't noticed any difference from using any ordinary liquid shampoo either... So that may be a problem... I switched from Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Does it take a few weeks, or until after my first hair cut to notice?

It does take some time (a few weeks and/or a hair cut) to notice a difference. However, check the ingredients list on the TIGI bar. If it contains SLS (sodium laurel sulfate) or SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) or SCS (sodium coco sulfate), then it contains all the same questionable ingredients as a liquid shampoo. There are plenty of bars without those chemicals (strong surfactants) which will give you much better results.

Top Bottom