What's new

Bought some store brand witch hazel and it stinks!!

Its not that bad and the unique witch hazel smell only lasts a second or two. If the smell bothers you that much, get some Thayers Witch Hazel in your choice of designer fragrances.

I never really liked the scent of witch hazel either so I went with Thayers unscented and it works perfectly. I suggest giving that a shot. You get the benefits of using it without the stink.

Of course it does, it's witch hazel! The smell will grow on you after a while

Yes, it will. I have actually come to enjoy the scent.

You could try scenting it yourself if you like, instead of paying a much higher price for the Thayer's scented. The route I have went, is to find yourself an International Market, and buy a bottle of Rose Water. Mix some of that into the Witch Hazel, and viola rose scented wonderfulness!

Rose Water is used for cooking in parts of the world, and should only set you back a dollar, or two for enough to likely last 5 years!!

I have used Dickinson's Witch Hazel for years and the scent does not bother me...perhaps I have just gotten used to the scent. About a year ago I purchased some of Thayers lavender and rose scented WH and like it very much.

Regards,

Doug

I love the smell of Dickinson's Witch Hazel! :) Smells woody and earthy to me. Then again, I love being in the woods, so that might play a role in my liking the WH scent ;)

I used to take a whiff of the generic stuff in the store and think it really smelled awful. Then I bought some and after just using it for a bit, I don't even notice the smell. Just splash it on and feels good!

I don't use witch hazel that often on my face. I do use it on other parts of my body. If I need an astringent after shaving, I use alum.

True, witch hazel does not smell great, but the smell doesn't hang around that long; at least on me.

When I first cracked open a bottle of witch hazel I thought the same thing, but I got used to it fast. The pros greatly outweigh that con. If you really wanted to you could try to scent it yourself or use Thayer's. I've read on here that Humphreys offers scented ones as well.

The scent of WH is completely gone by the time it dries on my face - and scents stick around forever on me.
You just have to breath out for a second or two, then it's gone.

I actually threw away my first bottle of witch hazel, thinking that it had spoiled. About a year later, I find myself looking for a more potent witch hazel, since I can no longer smell the one I use now. After a while, you won't notice the scent, either.

I have used Dickinson's Witch Hazel for years and the scent does not bother me...perhaps I have just gotten used to the scent. About a year ago I purchased some of Thayers lavender and rose scented WH and like it very much.

Regards,

Doug

If you like those, try the peach. It smells just like a freshly peeled ripe peach.

Top Bottom