What's new

1912 Shave

Well, I had my first shave with a GEM 1912 yesterday and it was as good as I had feared! It did a way better job than my DE's (especially on my neck) with very little irritation (almost none). Now I'm thinking about going further back in the GEM history and trying a Pre-1912 Junior if I can find one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Does anybody know what the oldest GEM is that will take the modern SE blades? I'm afraid my DE's are gonna be sitting idle for a while but I won't be getting rid of any of them.

Thanks
David

Frankly, I prefer the 1912 shave over the earlier models. They just tend to be too light weight. You might look for a Clog-Pruf Micromatic if you want a change, even though it is a later model, but you will have to go some distance to beat the great shave you can get with a 1912. Of course, you could start looking for a gold one and a brass one and a New Old Stock 1912 if you really feel the need to do some collecting.:001_smile

Got a gold one on the way! :) I dunno, I guess I just like the look of the pre 1912 ones. I'll keep an eye out for a Micromatic too. I use to see those all the time when I was looking for Gillettes but now that I'm looking for GEMs, I probably won't see any! LOL

the non wedge started Gems in 1905-1906, check 1906 dates on Gem Razors that are for sale, the take the blades that you can buy at Walgreens....under 1905 date are special blades called wedge blades.

Thanks for the info Alex and thank you Tom. Yeah I tried the GEM (Personna) blades from Walgreens and I like 'em although I don't like the Personna DE blades. I reckon I'll have to start huntin' a 1906. The 1912 I got has a case with the snap closure. Do any of y'all know what blade holder/case would be correct for this one?

Thanks!
David

Welcome to the Sheer Keenness of the stiffer SE blade. I'm a bit different than most as I don't get the best of shaves from the 1912s. My favorite SEs are the Gem Micromatics (OCMM & then Clog Pruf) & the Ever Ready 1924. I even got great shaves with a Gem Featherweight. I'll revisit the 1912s, but it's going to be hard to get te Micromatics out of my hands. I've yet to acquire & shave w/ a pre-1912 model so I can't comment on how hose compare, but I do agree that they look great. Talking about a great lookging razor you should look for the Heavy Flat Top (aka G-Bar). It simply stunning! Again, glad to see someone else taking the SE plunge & reaping the benefits.

Top Bottom