What's new

Pelikan 600 vs 800

I am pondering selling off a bunch of low grade pens I don't use anymore, and using the funds to get a Pelikan in Green striated (being vain, the green striated part is what's important). I know the sizes are different (and am sort of indifferent between the two). I used to go for bigger pens, but any more, my lamy 2000 and parker 51s are about perfect. Beyond the size, what are the differences between a 600 and 800? Would love feedback from anyone who has owned both.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I like my M600 size more, it's easier to carry in the shirt pocket which is normally what I do. Also I write with my pens capped and it seems a bit more normal for me than the much larger M800. M800 is a lot heavier if you like that kind of thing. Ink capacity is about the same for both at 1.4ml but I guarantee you will use it faster with the giant M800 nib.

The M600 allows you a much easier access to specialty nib grinds because M200 and M400 nibs also fit and are cheaply purchased, an M800 nib unit goes for $234.00 retail and M200 nibs can be had for as little as $27. Think about that.

For reference (seems like owning an Estie J is just about a requirement, so I figured it was helpful). Pic snagged from the pen comparator at Binder's site.

Attachments

• $Screen Shot 2011-08-12 at 8.52.23 PM.jpg
    $Screen Shot 2011-08-12 at 8.52.23 PM.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 96

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I like my M600 size more, it's easier to carry in the shirt pocket which is normally what I do. Also I write with my pens capped and it seems a bit more normal for me than the much larger M800. M800 is a lot heavier if you like that kind of thing. Ink capacity is about the same for both at 1.4ml but I guarantee you will use it faster with the giant M800 nib.

The M600 allows you a much easier access to specialty nib grinds because M200 and M400 nibs also fit and are cheaply purchased, an M800 nib unit goes for $234.00 retail and M200 nibs can be had for as little as $27. Think about that.

How do you do this?? I take my caps off and post it on the end of the pen.

Sorry, I had to do this:001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

For reference (seems like owning an Estie J is just about a requirement, so I figured it was helpful). Pic snagged from the pen comparator at Binder's site.
I've seen the binder comparison before, and it makes me wonder if my two Esties are actually SJs, as they seem really small, but I know the 600 is not a small pen.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sorry, POSTED! Good one, d'oh

As far as that Estie looking the same, don't be fooled. The M600 feels much more substantial, maybe it's the thickness.

Sorry, POSTED! Good one, d'oh

As far as that Estie looking the same, don't be fooled. The M600 feels much more substantial, maybe it's the thickness.

I probably need to get them out and play. I don't like the nibs on either of my Esties (I think they are both accountant nibs and on the scratchy side) so I don't use them much. I've got a Pel 200 already, which is basically supposed to be an Estie J size, and it feels bigger. I'm thinking I may go for the 600 as I've heard the 800 compared to the Twbsi 530, and I find that pen a tad big (or a tad faceted, not sure) for my taste.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok . . . I already knew I was doomed . . . but now someone has said accountant nibs and scratchy . . .

I like a bit of scratch to my pens and darned if I'm not an accountant. I never knew there were such things as accountant nibs.

Ok . . . I already knew I was doomed . . . but now someone has said accountant nibs and scratchy . . .

I like a bit of scratch to my pens and darned if I'm not an accountant. I never knew there were such things as accountant nibs.

You can look at getting a nib custom ground also. I take copious amounts of math notes and like using fine or extra fine nibs. Binder ground an eef/eeef nib for me and it is wonderful to write with.

http://www.esterbrook.net/nibs.shtml

Technically, I guess they called them bookkeeping nibs. I have a 1550 and maybe a 1555. I'm not sure if mine are scratchy by nature, worn out, abused, or what.

You can look at getting a nib custom ground also. I take copious amounts of math notes and like using fine or extra fine nibs. Binder ground an eef/eeef nib for me and it is wonderful to write with.

Did you get the waverly ones, or just normal? I have a couple sheaffers that have the upturned end, and I really like how that angle puts the nib on the paper.

Full sized J's are rather small; I've used it to compare two pens I own (the J and the 51) and even if the proportions are accurate, it only barely conveys the presence a pen will actually have in your hand. Hope that makes sense.

Also, my J's don't exactly post in a confidence-inspiring manner, so I have begun to learn to write with them unposted. Makes me think "smaller" pens aren't all bad.

Did you get the waverly ones, or just normal? I have a couple sheaffers that have the upturned end, and I really like how that angle puts the nib on the paper.

I'm not sure what a waverly nib is, but mine is slightly upturned. I wanted to be able to write with both sides of the nib. I'll get some pictures up later.

I'm not sure what a waverly nib is, but mine is slightly upturned. I wanted to be able to write with both sides of the nib. I'll get some pictures up later.

That is, as I understand it, the waverly nib, according to Binder's site. The upturn is supposed to help put the sweet spot more easily in contact with the page, which is especially important on very fine nibs.

Top Bottom