What's new

Boar Brush Choices

I want to add a boar brush to my den. I have been looking at Omega boars, models 10051,10049,or 11047. Any thoughts on these models or any other suggestions or different makers.
Thanks.

If you're interested in an Omega Pro, I'd recommend the 48 over the 49, as that's more of a classic standard by which you can use to judge others.

Second, I'd agree with Nathan on the Semogue Owner's Club (aka SOC), the 1305, or 1250. If you want another lofty brush akin to the Omega Pros, you can look at the Semogue 2000.

It depends on your needs and how you lather. One thing to note with the Omegas is that they are stinkier when new. Personally, I've been eying their new lineup and find them very attractive.

If you're interested in an Omega Pro, I'd recommend the 48 over the 49, as that's more of a classic standard by which you can use to judge others.

Second, I'd agree with Nathan on the Semogue Owner's Club (aka SOC), the 1305, or 1250. If you want another lofty brush akin to the Omega Pros, you can look at the Semogue 2000.

It depends on your needs and how you lather. One thing to note with the Omegas is that they are stinkier when new. Personally, I've been eying their new lineup and find them very attractive.
What is the "new lineup?"

I've only had one Omega, The Bambino with an 18mm knot. I liked the knot, but was not impressed with the handle. And most of the Omegas look like they they have same type of plastic handle. I wound up donating The Bambino to the WeeScot Roadshow so that those people downstream on the list can compare a small badger to a small boar.

OTOH, I have two Semogues, the 1305 and the 2010 Custom. Both are fine pieces of work. I like the knot on the 1305 better, and prefer the handle on the Custom. Semogue makes a couple brushes that combine the best of both worlds, I think the model number is 820.

I second the Nathan's recommendation of a Semogue Owner's Club. I don't have one yet, but I will ... it looks like everything you could want in a boar brush.

No matter what you get, if it has a wooden handle, don't let the wood soak, just the bristles. And be prepared for about 4 to 6 weeks of break-in before a boar brush will show you what it can do.

Stuff like this, all though although (I was tired when I wrote that) the term "new" may have been inappropiate:

Omega #11711
proxy.php

Omega #31241
proxy.php

Last edited:
Stuff like this, all though the term "new" may have been inappropiate:

Omega #11711

Omega #31241
There you go, that's more like it. If you do get an Omega, stick to their higher-end brushes and get one with a decent handle, not one of their $10 models with a plastic, injection molded grip. Those are only a step up from a VdH.

Both Omega and Semogue make great boars. It would be hard to go wrong with any of their offerings.

If you want a nicer, more hefty handle for the Omega, you will have to pay a little more.

One thing to note with the Omegas is that they are stinkier when new.

I am starting to think that boar funk varies more from batch to batch than it does between manufacturers.

Last edited:
Omega for value and Semogue for quality. You can't go wrong with either one. Just look for a size and density that fits your shave style.

Semogue 1305 & SOC for all round excellent performance. The 620 for soaps and sticks. Omega 49,51 & 29, great business ends but cheap handles - hence the price difference.

My three favorite brushes are the Semogues 1305, SOC and Omega Pro 49. The Semogues are lovely, but the plastic handle on the Omega bothers me not at all. It fits my hand better than the 1305 and at least as well as the SOC. For $10, what's not to like?

Jeff

I love my Omega Pro. This brush was amazingly soft, right out of the box, but with really nice backbone. Although the handle is plastic, it's still attractive and feels good in the hand. (I have the red handle. I don't know if this is 48 or 49; it's a big brush.)

Amazon is overpriced. The best deals are Vintage Scent, and Lee's Razors, depending on what you want. Vintage Scent has the best selection, but it takes 3 weeks for the razor to reach the States. I've purchased from both places and found that Lee's can cure temporary SBAD the fastest--usually in 2-3 days depending on how far away from New York you are.

BTW, once you've tried the SOC, look out :smile:

Top Bottom