What's new

EJ89 v. Muhle 89 v. Muhle 2011 R41 ?

I have an EJ89 and really like it, so that is my frame of reference. How does the Muhle 89 compare to the EJ89? I've read a lot of reviews and threads on the R41, but I am hesitant to buy an open comb - have never used one.

I own the Muhles, and have seen and hold the EJ.
All are excellent razors.
Quality is top notch.

I think the R89 and the EJ89 are basically the same razors.
They share the same head.

The R41 is something completely different.
It is an open tooth comb.
See Codfish' excellent review here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=210929&title=muehle-r41-2011&cat=44

I think a R41 is a wonderful addition to your rotation.
For a few days of stubble this razor is unsurpassed and I use it with much pleasure, comfort and confidence almost every day also.

Also, some have said that both the EJ 89 and Muhle 89 are more mild than the Merkur 34 and 38, despite having a larger blade gap --- but that is probably due to weight.

Just thinking and planning for that next razor. ;) I'm still looking to see where my aggressiveness tops out...

Thanks, Wimbouman --- I read that review and it has me really thinking about an R41. And i have NEVER had any desire to pick up an open comb!

A few things: The Muhle R41 (2011) is not a true open comb. The EJ89 and Muhle 89 are similar with the Muhle being a bit lighter. They shave very similar. The 34C is slightly more aggressive not because of the weight but because of the blade exposure. The Muhle R41 is the most aggressive DE razor on the market. It's more aggressive than the Slants and the Merkur Futur set on the highest setting. I have/had all of the mentioned razors and the R41 is one of my favorite (the other being the Futur).
I recommend one and if you don't like it you can sell it on BST and it'll sell in minutes.

The EJ and the Muhle are basically the same, now the newer R41 is a totally different animal in comparison, the 89's are way milder than the newer Muhle, quality is very very nice on them all, the older R41 Muhle is inbetween the 89's and the NEW R41.

I'll echo everybody's comments -- I have all three, and the EJ/Muhle 89 are nearly identical -- cosmetic differences, and I like both. The 41 is quite aggressive -- I'd compare to a Mergress on its most aggressive setting (maybe even more). It is also a nice razor.

I should have added "in my experience" the 34C is slightly more aggressive than the EJ89.

To me, that is what matters. Dimensions for razors and brushes can help point in the right direction, but two brushes at the same knot size and loft can behave quite differently. I imagine that razors are very similar in that regard...

Last edited:
It's technically a closed comb because it has a solid bar, but it has very pronounced ridges that make it behave like an open comb.

That R41 is a damn fine razor, HOWEVER... it does not suffer fools. Meaning, if your technique is not 100% spot on, it will bite. I get the absolute closest shaves with it.

That R41 is a damn fine razor, HOWEVER... it does not suffer fools. Meaning, if your technique is not 100% spot on, it will bite. I get the absolute closest shaves with it.

You don't have to be 100% spot-on. But if you do make less-than-minor mistakes, they will cost you, whereas with another razor, they might not.

I like the R89, a jolly good razor indeed.... and looks terrific. I also own a Merkur 11c (open comb) which is good enough to shave a weasel !!!

Q: How is the R41 not a true open comb? I have not yet used one.
can you see the comb teeth on razor, it has gaps between each tooth...the r41 has teeth too but are somewhat connected, making it not true open comb

Attachments

• $MUHR41-Muhle-double-edge-safety-razor2.jpg
    $MUHR41-Muhle-double-edge-safety-razor2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 242
  • $baseplate.jpg
    $baseplate.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 246
Top Bottom