What's new

Feather Portable vs. Feather AS-D1 shave

Has anyone used both the Feather Popular and the AS-D1 razor, and if so, how does the AS-D1 compare to the Popular as far as closeness/aggressiveness is concerned?

I just took delivery today on a $7 used (I couldn't tell) Popular and like the shave, I'm actually very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the razor, considering it's plastic components...

I've been eyeing the AS-D1 for some time and am just curious how it compares with the extra weight etc. I understand the head geometry (Blade angle/gap) is pretty similar between the two, but I also realize that extra mass will do wonders for cutting through whiskers etc. and it also looks from pictures at least, that the top cap of the AS-D1 appears to be thinner. (which is a good thing AFAIAC)

Last edited:
Bringing back this thread from the dead to see if anyone has made the comparison between the inexpensive and discontinued Feather Portable and the pricey but much lauded AS-D1 or AS-D2? I've got a Portable that I picked up a decade ago or so. And I've been contemplating an AS-D2 since I first learned of its existence. But so far my miserliness is winning out. Do I already own the poor man's AS-D2?

As far as I can tell the Portable is pretty much a Tech clone. I haven't heard the pricey Feather described that way, even though it may be similarly mild.

I've always had the same question.

I have the feather portable and never used an AS-D2. So I'll compare it to a vintage Gillette tech razor. It's a pretty aggressive razor head compared to the vintage Gillette tech razor. Unlike what I hear about the AS-D2 to be a mild razor which works well only with a very sharp feather blade and a specific angle, the all brass portable is not so, its is a nimble footed devil with any blade.

Just to be clear I am referring to this now discontinued Nickel plated brass stamped feather portable razor.

I picked this up a decade or so ago too from a user handle Pauldog..

Will follow this thread to see if anyone who actually has both razors can chime in with their thoughts.
20210206_092645.jpg
20210206_092733.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for including the photos! That is indeed the razor I’m talking about. But I’ve found mine to be pretty mild, so much so that I feel like it has to be used with a Feather blade for a good shave. (Though maybe not quite as mild as the Feather Popular, which is the tamest razor I own.) I wonder if the design underwent a tweak at some point?

Thanks for including the photos! That is indeed the razor I’m talking about. But I’ve found mine to be pretty mild, so much so that I feel like it has to be used with a Feather blade for a good shave. (Though maybe not quite as mild as the Feather Popular, which is the tamest razor I own.) I wonder if the design underwent a tweak at some point?

Truth be told I've not shaved with this razor for a few years now since the rise of the CNC milled razors. Back then around 2008 to 2010 it used to be regular rotation and used to find it a wee bit more blade feel compared to Gillette pre war tech.

I am going to give it a spin with a middle of the line blade this weekend and see how it goes.

I know this wouldn't answer your question, but it will be good to come up to speed on its feel and shave quality and hopefully someone will come in to give their advice.

If the AS-D2 is anything similar to the portable, it's on my buy list for its acclaimed stunning build quality..

And if I buy one I'll have you to thank for fuelling my RAD :D

Happy to offer my support!

I’m wondering: Was the AS-D1 the first stainless steel razor? It does have a sort of iconic status, and I want it for that reason as well as the build quality you mention. But I keep holding back out of concern that it’s mild to the point of being boring to use.

It’s not like I’m only interested in aggressive razors. I really like my Techs and 89 types. But I don’t have much enthusiasm for getting something else in that category at a high price. Still thinking about it though.

I own both Feather razor AS-D2 and Popular

I use Popular when i am traveling to be sure i dont loose my AS-D2. Popular is easy to use and give good shave, i compare it wih cartridge razor, smooth and efficient.

the AS-D2 is my gem, the only razor I want to use on a daily basis, however it took me almost a year to master my shaves. It is a very sharp razor that requires great care at the start so as not to get cuts. Definitely not the razor with the most blade exposure so it takes a bit more technique at first to get BBS but now my brain has the gesture to automatically get the right shave angle to get fantastic shaves.

I compare the AS-D2 to the fabulous Japanese knives that everyone admires and dreams of owning. I had dreamed of it for 10 years before daring to have one. At the beginning with I cut myself and I had a lot of irritation, I had even almost sold it but I persisted in controlling it because many people said that it was a fantastic razor.

Certainly if it ever broke I would have a new one and nothing else.

Top Bottom