What's new

How much do you apply?

I was testing out a cologne today and applied a good spray to one wrist and rubbed the two together, then another good spray to my chest.

After a while of hanging out with this girl I asked her if she could smell it, and she couldn't. Not until she had her head near where I sprayed it at least.

Maybe it's just a weak cologne? Should I use a little more?
It's Ralph Lauren Polo Blue.

Not until she had her head near where I sprayed it at least.

Cologne should be subtle so that it is really not detectable until they are in close, like when giving a hug or whispering in their/your ear. Makes them want to stay in close. Too much and its off-putting not to mention the nice mmm factor once they do get in close.

My general rule is 5-10 sprays on the neck, 4-5 on the chest, and then another 5 or so on each wrist.

If I still can't smell it, I'll pry the atomizer top off and commence pouring. :thumbup1:

Some are one or two sprays, like any Montale, Encre Noire, Habit Rouge, Terre d'Hermes. The "Summer" fragrances and citrus based , I will usually spray one on the wrist, chest and neck ( Creed's Royal Water and Millesime Imperial, L'Eau par Kenzo, CK One). There are a few, Caldey Island Lavender and L'Eau de L'Artisan come to mind, wher I'll apply four sprays. I could probably douse myself with it and still not smell it in three or four hours.

No right way... You have to find your own dose for each scent. Some are stronger than others.

Some people like it to project a bit and hit the bottle a few times.

With most, I do about four-five. Chest. Back of neck, wrists.

Some think only someone within 20mm should be able to smell it and apply very lightly.

The rule is there really is no rule.

Depends on the fragrance and the bottle. Penhaligon's atomizers are incredibly stingy, and so for their more fleeting frags-- Opus 1870 or BB-- I'd be fine with 6-8 sprays.

With something like Kouros, which is quite strong and has a decently generous atomizer, 2-3 max. And all sorts of stuff in between.

Montales get 1, and if I'm feeling anti-social, one and a half.

Well, I guess I'll give it another go and try a few more sprays next time. Good thing they fill these sample bottles up with a good amount.

+1. Definitely try to use a mop head or a slosh brush of some kind. :lol:

Personally I like to empty out a Windex bottle, give it a good rinse, and then use that. I feel that the generosity of the atomizer, combined with the extra capacity, really brings out the fog-horn level subtleties of a fragrance.

Personally I like to empty out a Windex bottle, give it a good rinse, and then use that. I feel that the generosity of the atomizer, combined with the extra capacity, really brings out the fog-horn level subtleties of a fragrance.

I LOL'd IRL. :lol:

Brilliant!

Top Bottom