What's new

Puck vs. Stick

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I started using sticks a month ago when I had to travel for business for a week. Tried using a puck when I got back (same type soap I had made into my travel stick) and my brush loading was horrible. Been using sticks since then, but when they're gone I'll retry my pucks and determine whether I stick-ify them or not at that point.

Just curious....what are your thoughts and preferences on these two forms of soap?

I generally use soap from a puck when I am at home and I like to take a shave stick when I travel. Sadly, some of my favourite soaps (Palmolive, Sir Irisch Moos, Wilkinson Sword, Speick) are only available in stick form.

I shower shave so I tend to like the sticks better, plus they are kind of idiot proof when it comes to loading!

Jay

I enjoy using both and enjoy the variety of lathering each provide. If speed is of the essence, then the sticks are my way forward. However, they are pretty much idiot proof and you can't really beat the challenge of obtaining a great lather from a puck. I wouldn't be without either, both forms holding a valued place in my collection.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I never tried a stick, because I grew up on using pucks...so it's my preference. :yesnod:

Christopher :straight: "Laughter is the [shaving puck]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

I vary according to whim. Right now I'm into Cella and RazoRock Classic, so no sticks. When I'm traveling, or in a hurry at home, Arko or Palmolive is for me.

I'm currently on a "stick kick." I'm so impressed with how fast I can get a quality lather by running the brush over the stick with a little water.

Been using sticks as of late and I must say, I have been impressed with the results. Just received two more today (Tabac and Valobra) and Speick is in the mail.

Personally, I have never used a stick. Some of the posts here definetly make me want to go out and try a few! SWMBO....anyone out there want to serve as wingman and create a distraction?!?!? :lol:

Depends on the brand. If we're talking about TOBS or Proraso, I'll take mine in a bowl. However, I've found that I like soaps like Mama Bear in stick form.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
FonGu, I just used an old deo-stick container and the standard melt'n'pour method to make some of my sticks (others such as Speick, I purchased). I've seen others here do the same thing into metal pipes and other such things and then wrap them in foil. No need to buy one just to try a stick :001_smile

I'll go with puck form. I just can't seem to get into the sticks. I usually get enough lather for one pass and a touch up. Lathering off the puck I get enough for 3 passes and plenty left over. I wonder if it has to do with my brush, Rooney 1/1 super. I have been struggling with the Mama Bear's samples that I ordered so I may try to use one of them like a stick. If it is good then I will most likely order some sticks from her. . .

FonGu, I just used an old deo-stick container and the standard melt'n'pour method to make some of my sticks (others such as Speick, I purchased). I've seen others here do the same thing into metal pipes and other such things and then wrap them in foil. No need to buy one just to try a stick :001_smile

That's worth a shot too!

Pucks mostly. Whe I want the idiot-proof convenience of sticks I take the puck out of the bowl and rub it on my wet face, like I would a stick...

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I use both about equally. If I am in a rush, I will grab either Speick or Arko stick. DR Harris Arlington puck is my Saturday (or Sunday) shave. Tabac, Cella, or MB Pheonix are used as the mood fits. I REALLY like Speick, so stick vs puck is about 50/50.

I have been wet shaving for many years and had not tried shaving sticks until recently. I purchased a few for a trip and liked them very much. I wish I would have discovered them earlier when I traveled more frequently. I have several now and like them a great deal but usually prefer the puck at home. That said, I do use them at home from time to time because I like the products and they are not available in other than stick form.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom