What's new

Parker Shavette

It's good, not bad, but a bit dangerous. It loves to cut your face at every opportunity. One of the gripes I have with it is that the handle doesn't stay in place like other shavettes, and straits. Oh, and properly aligning a blade after changing can be little awkward.

That being said, it is still a decent piece of equipment.

I was impressed with mine also. I fine myself using it in a pinch or after people post about it. A few more posts in this thread and I'm sure I'll dust it off for tomorrow's shave.

It's good, not bad, but a bit dangerous. It loves to cut your face at every opportunity. One of the gripes I have with it is that the handle doesn't stay in place like other shavettes, and straits. Oh, and properly aligning a blade after changing can be little awkward.

That being said, it is still a decent piece of equipment.

I had oft heard that as well, about the likelyhood of facial lacerations, but I did not find it to be so. Perhaps if too steep an angle were used? The Parker is quite thin, so a very shallow angle to the face can be achieved, which I think is the key to any straight shave.

I'm definitely going to have to rescale this beast...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I had oft heard that as well, about the likelyhood of facial lacerations, but I did not find it to be so. Perhaps if too steep an angle were used? The Parker is quite thin, so a very shallow angle to the face can be achieved, which I think is the key to any straight shave.

I'm definitely going to have to rescale this beast...

I did mine...only thing was the pivot hole was huge...

By cutting, I meant it likes to poke you, almost as if it were animate. As I'm shaving, I'll move it away from my face, and then it suddenly makes a straight dash for my face--usually near my chin.

Nonetheless, it's the best shavette I've used, and I also use it with a Feather, or sometimes Derby Extra.

By cutting, I meant it likes to poke you, almost as if it were animate. As I'm shaving, I'll move it away from my face, and then it suddenly makes a straight dash for my face--usually near my chin.

Hmmm...you may want to sprinkle a little holy water on that razor!

I've used this crappy little *** razor on three out of the last four shaves, and I'm sorry to say that it just plain works fantastic!

Obviously, the key to any great straight shave is an outstanding edge. With the technology, and ultra-thin blades available for DEs, getting a fantastic edge is as simple as snapping your fave DE blade in half, and popping it in there. So far I've used only a Feather, but the options are vast if you simply pop into the DE sections of the forums.

Sex appeal?

No

Aesthetically pleasing?

No

Taking pride in the quality of fine Solingen/Sheffield craftsmanship?

No

Thumbnotch?

No

Not yet .....

Getting a friggin' great, smooth, close shave with a razor that costs 1/5th of a Feather, and uses non proprietary blades that are cheap as dirt, especially when comparred to aforementioned Feather (and KAI) blades, perfect for carry on luggage (as you can always find DE blades anywhere), and basically kicking your whiskers' ***?

Oh yes!

The Parker Shavette is the AK-47 of the straight razor world. Cheaply made, not very accurate, but damn effective!

Last edited:
I purchased one 3 months ago to learn to use a straight. I ended up poking my cheeks with the corners of the blade quite a few times, but I eventually learned. I love it, and can't wait to go for the real thing! I just hope I am not too spoiled with the replaceable blades.

I've used this crappy little *** razor on three out of the last four shaves, and I'm sorry to say that it just plain works fantastic!

Obviously, the key to any great straight shave is an outstanding edge. With the technology, and ultra-thin blades available for DEs, getting a fantastic edge is as simple as snapping your fave DE blade in half, and popping it in there. So far I've used only a Feather, but the options are vast if you simply pop into the DE sections of the forums.

Sex appeal?

No

Aesthetically pleasing?

No

Taking pride in the quality of fine Solingen/Sheffield craftsmanship?

No

Thumbnotch?

No

Not yet .....

Getting a friggin' great, smooth, close shave with a razor that costs 1/5th of a Feather, and uses non proprietary blades that are cheap as dirt, especially when comparred to aforementioned Feather (and KAI) blades, perfect for carry on luggage (as you can always find DE blades anywhere), and basically kicking your whiskers' ***?

Oh yes!

The Parker Shavette is the AK-47 of the straight razor world. Cheaply made, not very accurate, but damn effective!

Well said Seraphim. They also work great with the Shark blades my Parker came with. I wouldn't recommend someone just getting into straight shaving one though, as they can be quite unforgiving, especially with Feathers.
I bought a Parker SRW as my first "straight" and cringe when I think of the horrible razor burn I got from trying it with Feathers a couple times :cursing: :laugh:
But when I got my regular straights and learned to handle these things it wasn't an issue anymore. And it ultimately made my buy a Feather AC SS, which is hands down fantastic.

Top Bottom