What's new

?'s About the Cold Water Rinse Finish

Can someone explain to me the reason for the cold water final rinse? Why is it not done with hot, warm or teppid water? I know the conventional answer is that it closes the pores after the shave. How can the ASB or moisturizer get into the pores if they are closed?

I have for the past 30 years of shaving (99% shower shave) finished and rinsed with the shower water temperature; generally warm. I towel off and go apply my ASB. No cold water rinse. I slather on the ASB, my entire face; neck, throat, inside/outside of ears, back of neck, eylids, not inside of nose or eyeballs, everywhere. Then, a splash or two and call it good. My thinking on this method is that my pores are open and the ASB can hydrate my skin through those open pores. If I use a splash after this it helps close the pores with the ASB in them. If I don't splash then I let my face acclimate on its own.

I have never had any issues with dry skin and my ingrown hair count is maybe 2 per year. Would I have better results incorporating the cold water rinse?

Anyone else not use the cold water rinse? Am I crazy?

Last edited:
After a shave...cold water is said to "close your facial pores".I think pores are 80% closed but just a small amount of AS goes a long way..cold water helps a lot having sensitive skin as well...I never thought about warm/hot water after a shave though...:shaving:

Last edited:
Glad to know I haven't made a huge procedural error. I guess it's possible to over think some things; it aint rocket science or splitting atoms. I will continue with my process as I am old too set in my ways.

Thanks for the help and answers.

It closes your pores, invigorates the skin and will also close any minor nicks, but it's optional; if you don't like it, don't do it.

Just as an FYI guys - pores do not open or close. They remain pretty stationary.

A cold water rinse will tighten the skin a little bit. I think the main benefit, however, is that it feels nice.

Some of us use cold or cool water throughout the shave to cut down on irritation.

cold constricts blood vessels and slows down any bleeding. if I've chopped my neck badly (rushing) I get an ice cube - perfect. then slap on AS.

For me the cold rinse does indeed make my skin feel a little tighter - a bit less flabby again, after all the effort I've been to to soften everything up with hot water and soap. And so it's definitely a "feel good" step for me.

Constricts blood vessels, tightens the skin and ultimately feels good. Doesn't close pores because there are no muscles to do that. They can get clogged tho. That's why I use warm water to first clean the skin from lather and follow w/ the cold water afterwards.

Cold water just feels better to my skin afterwards. I will tell you that I switched from alcohol-based AS to balms and my skin looks better - never any stinging either.

I never thought of a warm final rinse ... Good Post ... Thanks! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I don't do a cold water rinse anymore. If I leave warm rinse water on my face a few seconds it turns cold, and I use aftershave or witch hazel to close my pores anyway. As my technique has gotten better, it has become less necessary.

I'm in the feel good camp. I enjoy the cold water rinse in the summer. When winter comes, I'm back to using warm water.

I find it refreshing and like the way it feels. As for pores, percentages, temperatures, aftershave penetration, etc.... I remain a bit skeptical

Al raz.

Top Bottom