What's new

Spent 4 Months Trying Blades - Finally Ordered 100

I've spend many weeks, months actually, trying out various blades- about 20 in total. One thing I've determined is that I don't have a favorite blade, or even a "worst" blade. Most work well for me, but I have finally narrowed down my likes to five blades. They all work well for me and it will take more time to see if any is really my favorite. Had a hard time deciding which to order as the first 100 of "my favorites" but finally settled on ...

Perma-Sharp Super - I love these blades. They seem as sharp as any I have tried, at least if I measure that by closeness of shave. I always get an incredibly close shave from them. They are also about the smoothest blades I've used and leave very little burn after I shave - perhaps a bit with Alum or alcohol, but that is mild and momentary, and then nothing afterwards like I do from some other blades. Finally they seem to work well for many shaves. Given that they are cheap to begin with ($20/hundred) and last a long time, they represent a value buy too. Just placed my order for a hundred of these.

7 O'Clock Yellow and 7 O'Clock Blue - I will order 100 of one of these soon. The only reason I didn't also order 100 of one of these is that I can't decide which I like more. Whichever one I've used last seems to be the one I prefer. Working on a Blue now; so today it's Blue. But there have been several days when it's been Yellow. Maybe I should just resolve to get 100 of each and spend a year or two trying to decide which I like better.

FYI. The other two I like and may yet order in quantity are - Personna Meds. I want to try Labs first to see if I like these as well. They're about half the cost. So I'm hoping I discover I like them as well as the Meds (Yes. I know they are supposed to perfrom the same). And lastly I love the new St. Pete Gillette Rubies. The only reason I'm not buying those now is that I know someone who can get them for me in eastern Europe for better prices than here.

So that's it. My first 100 "favorites" ordered, and at least the rest identified ... for now of course.

Last edited:
I gotta try the Russian Permasharps. The 7 O'Clock Yellow didn't for me. I really like the Personna Meds and the Personna Red Packs.

I tried the Gillette "blue label" 7 O'Clock from Russia just this week, and they are certainly up there with the PermaSharps...

In "Perma-Sharp Super", is Perma-Sharp a brand name, or is this a Gillette blade?

I'm tossing up getting 100 yellows and 100 greens, and now you're telling me I need to try the blues?! ;)

Then again, I bought 100 Sharks recently only to find I don't like them at all, so maybe some trading can occur.

Had shave #8 on a Permasharp today - still as good as most other brand new blades! They really do live up to their name.

In "Perma-Sharp Super", is Perma-Sharp a brand name, or is this a Gillette blade?

I'm tossing up getting 100 yellows and 100 greens, and now you're telling me I need to try the blues?! ;)

Then again, I bought 100 Sharks recently only to find I don't like them at all, so maybe some trading can occur.

Perma-Sharp is the brand name - not to be confused with 7 O'Clock permasharps. I don't know if Gillette owns the brand. Just checked the box and don't see "Gillette" on it anywhere. They're made in the same St. Petersburg plant where the 7 O'Clock Yellows and Blues (and greens) are made, and Astras, and several blades with the Gillette brand name on them. The only place I know to get them is Bestshave.

p.s. If you like 7 O'Clock blades but haven't tried the Blue Super Platinum yet, do so before you order. To me they're a toss-up with the Yellows, but I think many people prefer them to the Yellows.

"To me they're a toss-up with the Yellows, but I think many people prefer them to the Yellows."

They are pretty close. I have an increasing hunch that the Blue ones are more durable, but there isn't much in it.

My favorite blades are very similar to those discussed in this thread, and I would suggest trying the 7 o'clock black super platinum. It has been awhile since I rotated through Voskhod, Bic and Bluebirds but I also remember liking them in my DE89. The labs, blacks, and blues have been my favorite so far in my 37c slant which is itself taking over my number one razor spot.

My favorite blades are very similar to those discussed in this thread, and I would suggest trying the 7 o'clock black super platinum. It has been awhile since I rotated through Voskhod, Bic and Bluebirds but I also remember liking them in my DE89. The labs, blacks, and blues have been my favorite so far in my 37c slant which is itself taking over my number one razor spot.

I came very, very close to ordering 100 VOskhods when RB&M had them back in. But after revisiting them, decided on others. Still, theya re very nice. You've tried both 7 Blacks and Blues. Which do you prefer? The blacks are the only ones I haven't tried of the 7's, but that's because almost everyone who has tried both either says they are about the same or prefers the Blues. So I thought I would skip the Blacks. If I could find a few people that actually thought they were better than Blues, I'd give them a try.

"To me they're a toss-up with the Yellows, but I think many people prefer them to the Yellows."

They are pretty close. I have an increasing hunch that the Blue ones are more durable, but there isn't much in it.

I agree. Quite similar but I get another day out of the blues.

From my experience, if you like the Personna Meds, you will like the Russian Perma-Sharps. They really feel similar to me.

I read the Personna labs are very similar to meds and you're saying meds and Perma-Sharps are in the same league. Hence, the Personna blue labs are indeed very value for $.

I've spend many weeks, months actually, trying out various blades- about 20 in total. One thing I've determined is that I don't have a favorite blade, or even a "worst" blade. Most work well for me, but I have finally narrowed down my likes to five blades. They all work well for me and it will take more time to see if any is really my favorite. Had a hard time deciding which to order as the first 100 of "my favorites" but finally settled on ...

Perma-Sharp Super - I love these blades. They seem as sharp as any I have tried, at least if I measure that by closeness of shave. I always get an incredibly close shave from them. They are also about the smoothest blades I've used and leave very little burn after I shave - perhaps a bit with Alum or alcohol, but that is mild and momentary, and then nothing afterwards like I do from some other blades. Finally they seem to work well for many shaves. Given that they are cheap to begin with ($20/hundred) and last a long time, they represent a value buy too. Just placed my order for a hundred of these.

7 O'Clock Yellow and 7 O'Clock Blue - I will order 100 of one of these soon. The only reason I didn't also order 100 of one of these is that I can't decide which I like more. Whichever one I've used last seems to be the one I prefer. Working on a Blue now; so today it's Blue. But there have been several days when it's been Yellow. Maybe I should just resolve to get 100 of each and spend a year or two trying to decide which I like better.

FYI. The other two I like and may yet order in quantity are - Personna Meds. I want to try Labs first to see if I like these as well. They're about half the cost. So I'm hoping I discover I like them as well as the Meds (Yes. I know they are supposed to perfrom the same). And lastly I love the new St. Pete Gillette Rubies. The only reason I'm not buying those now is that I know someone who can get them for me in eastern Europe for better prices than here.

So that's it. My first 100 "favorites" ordered, and at least the rest identified ... for now of course.

Great choices.

Top Bottom