What's new

Bacon Poll #3 -- Flavours

Bacon Poll #3 -- Flavours (in general)

• Smoked (Applewood, Hickory, Mesquite, &c.)

• Brown Sugar

• Maple

• Reduced Salt

• Peppercorn crusted

• Other (please specify)

• Art is King!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This poll is about flavours in general.
A poll specific to smoked bacon is coming soon.

What flavour of Bacon do you like most?
This one is going to allow multiple selections as not everyone can just choose one type.
Maybe we'll at least see the most popular and the least popular.

If I forget one please indicate in the comments.

Last edited:
Well, for me smoked is king! Followed closely by maple. I have never had the chance to have brown sugar flavored bacon. I would gladly try some if it was offered!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I never really thought of Bacon as being different flavors, but I suppose it is when you consider it.
My initial reaction was to come in and say "Bacon flavored", but Maple is positively different than just smoked.

I'm starting to wonder if these types are available everywhere or if some are just regional.
I know a lot of people who like maple syrup with their bacon (and breakfast sausage).
Maple flavoured bacon isn't my favorite, but it does have a unique taste. You really can taste the maple.
I've never had peppercorn bacon, but I know it's out there.

I chose other, because I like to cure my own when I can and I routinely use maple or hickory syrup, or brown sugar in the cure but they don't have the powerfully sweet effect that the commercial versions do. Then the pork belly is smoked at low temps after curing, usually with apple, cherry, pear, or maple - depends on what I have handy.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Some of the commercial stuff is just "too" whatever they added that they think you need to drown in. But, lightly smoked with hickory, or maple (really the only two woods I've seen used for product here in my end of Canuckyville) are nice. I'm about to be a heretic . . . I like the peppercorn chicken bacon that is made by Maple lodge Farms here in Brampton. I often go to the factory outlet and buy a case. I can't stand turkey bacon at all. I have to make some concessions to health . . . so I can eat some maple smoke cheddar too.

I voted smoked as that's what I prefer. I'm not that fond of maple or brown sugar flavored bacon. I'll eat it sure, but would much rather have smoked.

Top Bottom