What's new

Suggestions (free consultation requested from you all)

Fragrances I LOVE:
Red Vetyver, Montale
SL Chergui
Creed Silver Mountain Water

Ones I like (but don't love like the ones above):
Creed Aventus
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
Prada Amber
Trufitt and Hill 1805

Ones I dislike:
SL Fumerie Turque
SL Amber Sultan
The leather one from Creed (English Leather?)

Any suggestions on a future purchase or one to sample, based on above info? I recently did a blind purchase of Opus 1870 (haven't gotten it yet). Hope it's good!

I'll pass on Tommy G but any other recommendations would be appreciated. TIA

I'd at least give it a try. Nothing screamingly girly about it. One of the first great tea fragrances. A bit floral, but really not in any way that a bit of swagger can't overcome.

Otherwise, your list of likes and dislikes is composed exclusively of stuff I haven't tried. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

I'll pass on Tommy G but any other recommendations would be appreciated. TIA

Silver Mountain water is particularly popular with the ladies ... but guys like it too! Gender barriers are gonna be crossed when you venture further into the world of fragrance. there's a little rule of thumb: the world of women's fragrances is full of unisex masterpieces that in many ways transcend anything offered to guys.

But in the interest of other recommendations ... you like Creed Aventus, which is a good pineapple element ... Lapidus Pour Homme is a pineapple behemoth. It's a very different kind of scent, but pineapple is an odd note to encounter in perfume, and this is the one that comes to mind.

Chergui has that sweet immortal ... Sables by Annick Goutal has a similar resinous and sweet structure.

I'm sorry. It's 2 a.m. and I'm writing this while watching The Last Picture Show. wow, Cybill Shepherd is young!

It's interesting to me that you like Chergui, but don't like Fumerie Turque or Amber Sultan. I don't question it at all, as I know it only takes a very slight difference to move something from the "love it" category to the "hate it" category.

I suggest you try sampling Terre d'Hermes, both the EdT and the EdP versions. These have a similar vibe to Montale's Red Vetyver. But do try both as they are different, with the EdT version having a brighter presence with the stronger flinty note, and the EdP is smoother, softer and more elegant. I like both equally, if not perhaps slightly preferring the EdT for it's flinty note. They both have about the same longevity, while the EdT may project slightly more where the EdP stays a little closer.

It's interesting to me that you like Chergui, but don't like Fumerie Turque or Amber Sultan. I don't question it at all, as I know it only takes a very slight difference to move something from the "love it" category to the "hate it" category.

I thought the same thing but I don't think Chergui has immortelle, does it? I thought it was interesting that you like Chergui but not Tobacco Vanille, actually, too. Recommending a fragrance when there are tens of thousands to choose from is not easy, not at all. On one hand I want to suggest something similar to what you've already listed and on another I want to recommend something missing from your list. From what you've listed, you like a good vetiver, a good tobacco, and a good "fresh" scent, but you don't have a good floral or incense, something like Paestum Rose (Eau d'Italie) or Jubilation XXV (Amouage), or maybe a lavender/incense like Incense et Lavande (Lutens). I could suggest something more classical like Bois du Portugal (Creed) or maybe a lighter take on vetiver like Vetiver pour elle (Guerlain). I could literally suggest to you hundreds of fragrances. You don't have any green chypres (Givenchy III, Acqua di Parma Profumo) either.

And yes, those are ALL suggestions! :w00t:

Top Bottom