What's new

Guerlain Vetiver

Just got my first bottle of this and tried it after reading many posts of how people love it.

First impressions....what have I bought. Having been used to Floris Vetiver, this smells too sweet and flowery, and I can't detect any real Vetiver scent in it.

Some people have described it as a lighter, summery Vetiver, but, unless I get to like it soon, it will end up on ebay.

So....can anyone recommend a Vetiver similar to Floris, since that is now out of production?

!!!!

If this wasn't such a friendly forum I'd say those were fighting words! But of course it's all YMMV. I want to say try it again, give it some time, etc., but I don't know if that will make a difference. I remember there being a good love/hate thing with Guerlain's Vetiver because of the awkward tobacco note in it, which really does subdue the vetiver. And it's not pipe tobacco, either, but a golden Virginia tobacco, a kind of sweet and grassy hay-like note, but almost sour.

Gosh, I don't know what's not to like! :lol::lol:

I don't know floris' vetiver so I can't recommend anything, sorry. I'm sure others will be able to help.

The top notes smell like Lemon Pledge (the furniture polish) to me.
Give it about 30 min and it settles down in the middle notes.

If you still aren't a fan at that point, then it's probably not for you.

Haven't tried Floris Vetiver, but I sure don't get sweet and flowery from Guerlain. Makes me wonder how the Floris smells.

The Guerlain, which was the only thing my dad ever wore, reminds me of the sixties when my pa was a young guy and I was a tyke. He was the farthest thing from a hippy and I think the scent complemented the ever present Marlboros and whiskey. I swear it doesn't smell as good anymore and I don't know if it is the formula or just nostalgia.

Guerlain Vetiver is nice enough, but I can't whole-heartedly recommend it unless you enjoy astringent lemon, dry vetiver, and burnt tobacco notes all in conjunction with each other. It's one of the few fragrances out there that elicits a sneeze whenever I apply it. It got zero compliments from the ladies, but YMMV with it in that regard. It's definitely a classically-composed vetiver and a heavyweight in the category.

Haven't tried this EDC, but do like the Aftershave, it reminds me of Skin Bracer which isn't a bad thing.

Skin Bracer ?

I didnt get that at all from the EDC and AS Balm, but I haven't smelled the splash

There may be some ingredients in the splash that make it smell similar to SB

Just to offer a counter point here, I love Guerlain Vetiver. I also love Floris Vetiver. They are very different from each other. I enjoy the very tart, slightly soapy green grassiness with a touch of earthy, dry tobacco of Guerlain.

I think that is the point I was trying to make, Guerlain and Floris are worlds apart, and I was hoping it would be more towards the Floris as it is out of production.

I am persisting with Guerlain, it will probably be a summer scent for me. I'll read the numerous other threads on Vetiver and try some others too.

Thanks for the post jakespoppy.

Skin Bracer ?

I didnt get that at all from the EDC and AS Balm, but I haven't smelled the splash

There may be some ingredients in the splash that make it smell similar to SB

Yeah, it was the splash and the SB was the first that popped into my mind.

I did not enjoy the Guerlian at first sniff either, but it really grew on me. They might not be exactly what you are looking for, but try to sample Tom Ford's Grey vetiver or if you want a more straight vetiver and have some cash to drop I like Malle's Vetiver Extraodinaire as well.

Top Bottom