What's new

So I found an old razor

Hello everyone, i recently found an old safety razor my grandfather had. I cleaned it up and discovered its a gillette L3. Seems to be in pretty good shape. Is this a good razor to start out with or should i try something else?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

ok...didnt we talk about not posting pics!!

Attachments

• $e5297d97-7de4-44c0-8d78-33a0aac90773.gif
    $e5297d97-7de4-44c0-8d78-33a0aac90773.gif
    446.3 KB · Views: 222
Its probably not what you have in that picture. That picture is a Gillette Fatboy and Executive but they were made about 10 years prior to your. You most likely have a Gillette Slim Adjustable here is a pic from our shavewiki...
attachment.php

Here is were you can get a little info, picture, and copy of the instructions on it...
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Slim

Your should be made in 1966 3rd qtr. To see if its working unscrew the lower knurled knob and the doors should open evenly and smooth, they should close the same except there should be an extra 1/4ish turn of tension past were they close. Other that that look at it from the side and turn the numbered adjustment knob from 1-9 and you should see the blade tray rise as you turn the dial, its a pretty small rise but is visible to the naked eye. Then eyeball the guard bar and door gap to make sure they are even and no corners are bent. If those thngs all seem fine you have a winner! And next time a picture of you razor will make it much easier to help ID. Hope that helps!!!

Jay

Pretty cool place isn't it? With nothing more than a date code and picture, of the wrong razor even, and still it wasn't anything these guys couldn't handle. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but the little details that they pick up on amazes me more often than not. Stick around, this place is about as comfortable as it gets. :001_smile

Pretty cool place isn't it? With nothing more than a date code and picture, of the wrong razor even, and still it wasn't anything these guys couldn't handle. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but the little details that they pick up on amazes me more often than not. Stick around, this place is about as comfortable as it gets. :001_smile

I like the way you think! I'm stickin' with your version!!:001_tt2:

Well, you know, there was only one adjustable being made at the time of that date code, it was a pretty easy pickup.

Sure burst my bubble! And I was thinking I had a whole Gu-Ru thing going on!:sneaky2:

J/K! It really was an easy catch after you posted the pic of the Fatboy & Executive. Trust me you will see some real gurus around here when it comes to razors, I know just enough to be wrong about 1/2 the time!:w00t:

Jay

Well, you know, there was only one adjustable being made at the time of that date code, it was a pretty easy pickup.

J/K! It really was an easy catch after you posted the pic of the Fatboy & Executive. Trust me you will see some real gurus around here when it comes to razors, I know just enough to be wrong about 1/2 the time!:w00t:

Oh I know...it's not like you guys split the atom or anything :tongue_sm

Was just trying to convey to the newcomer that we have a great community of very knowledgeable and helpful people around here. :001_smile

As long as it passes the tests listed by Mako72 you have a fine razor to start...and finish with. Adjustables are very nice. A suggestion, work with one setting for a while, rather than changing it constantly. You will learn technique much more quickly that way.

Top Bottom