What's new

Coticule dust as a strop dressing?

Legion

Staff member
Anybody do this?

I lapped a big coticule today, and I was about to rinse the slurry down the sink. But then I thought it might be of some use to let it dry and save it. Seems like it might work, the abrasive particles are all there, dust it onto a leather....

I saved some of the slurry from lapping my Chinese natural stone. I figured I could use it for something, maybe just as a slurry on the stone instead of raising a slurry...

Tried it, not too impressed with it. It was far too coarse for my liking.

This may be to do with the particle size & medium. When everyone is looking at 0.5 micron sprays etc., a 5.0 micron coti particle seems quite large.
I t may work well on felt compared to leather but I'm just guessing.

The other thing to consider is what else is in your slurry from the lapping tool/s ?

Legion

Staff member
This may be to do with the particle size & medium. When everyone is looking at 0.5 micron sprays etc., a 5.0 micron coti particle seems quite large.
I t may work well on felt compared to leather but I'm just guessing.

The other thing to consider is what else is in your slurry from the lapping tool/s ?

AHHH yes, Oz. Well considered, and the very reason why I have not used the masses of slurry I have saved on the glass (I should take a picture of it, there is quite a lot.) I lap on sandpaper, and my concern was that the abrasives from the paper have now mixed with the slurry. Still... if you were only using a slurry stone to create the goop it might be worth the trial.

Even with a slurry stone created goop I'd be looking at the least resilient medium like felt but I'm sure people have tried leather in the past. Just don't hear about it much.

My thought is that slurry, in the honing process, is used during the early stage and not the finishing stage, as it will keep the edge too dull at that point... so it doesn't seem like it would be well suited for finishing a razor on your strop, but I am, of course, no expert... that's just my initial thought on it.

Top Bottom